Friday, January 27, 2012

Queens? No thanks, I've been over-served.

Yesterday playing the cash game for about 2 1/2 hours I was getting run over by the deck big time. I was dealt pocket queens 5 times...winning one big pot (A/Q flop), winning 3 small pots, and losing one medium pot (raised by Wayne to $7 preflop, called by Vern, re-raised by me to $17, both players call. Flop is A/K/K, Vern & I check, Wayne bets $20. Good-bye.

I also was dealt pocket aces twice, winning small pots with both, and losing a big pot with KK on a flop of J/10/8 with a bet and raise to $35. One player called, turn was king, bet by Vern, fold, he shows J/10 which means I threw away the winner as he was drawing dead to a chop at best.

A profitable day, but could have been better with the right callers on my preflop raises. But, I never dislike a check in the win column. I like my play for the most part, even my winning and possible winning folds. Trying to pay a lot of attention to the "texture" of the flop. When I see a highly textured one with straight and flush draws I am usually folding unless I have the big draw or set (which is also a big draw). Money not lost is money you don't have to try to win back later.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Sheesh - give me queens all the time if I can get that win rate!

Thanks for your comments on my "identity crisis". You made a lot of very good points. I wouldn't mind borrowing Annie Duke's book if you own it & don't have to take it back to the library or something.

Matt is not the guy you are thinking of. He is actually a dealer at the Lucky Bridge. He's late 20s to early 30s, about my height with black hair & facial hair. He's always very nice to me except when I snap off his big hand - LOL.

Hope to see you Saturday at Joker's. I'm playing the deepstack at the Island tomorrow (Tuesday).