Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Poker Resolutions

I have been giving a lot of thought lately to exactly why I have been losing (other than really running card dead). Here are some resolutions to help me play better this year.

1. Focus on Zen. By this I mean focusing on them moment rather than what happened in the past...last hand, last month, etc. This prevents tilt and anger, which leads to seeking revenge. Also, do not focus on the future. The correct way to play a hand needs to be separated from the results. Winning the hand is not the important lesson, playing correctly is.

2. Play with an adequate bankroll for the size of the game. You cannot win with scared money which is what you do buying in for the minimums. Also, having a lot of chips in front of you is intimidating, helps you make correct decisions, and maximizes profits when you finally have "the nuts". In analyzing my play have decided that it is why I do so much better in tournaments than cash games. But, the further lesson for me is late in the tournament I again need to focus on correct play, not just where I could potentially end up on the payouts. That again is focusing on the future, not the present.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Both of your resolutions are excellent & I intend to live by them also. I really concentrated on being "in the moment" in last Sunday's tournament. I just got unlucky because my 7-7 was dominated by J-J on my all in. It's just too bad that Scott hit his set also. Phooey. I hate going out in 6th place when they start discussing giving 5th place money back before I'm even out of earshot, even though I know that's what they always do. I'd almost rather go out first. However, overall, I was pleased with my performance.

Won't be playing another tournament until weekend after next. This has to do with Resolution #2 in that I have no extra money right now. Double phooey.