Sunday, January 8, 2012

Coin Flips, Alternates, Freerolls

Started my poker day with the Joker $60 buy-in deepstack. Got hurt early on by a very loose player with A/6 versus my 9/9. He hit a 6 on the flop with a 10/6/3 flop and came out betting. I did not believe he had a 10 and called. The turn was another 6 and I called his bet planning on stealing the river. He then bet fairly big and I put him on either big cards or smaller pair.....

Short stacked with blinds at 200/400 the short stack next to me shoved with A/Q and I found 8/8. Normally not liking to call shoves I went ahead and lost the coin flip with only 10 big blinds and UTG next hand. He of course hit his ace.

Driving to the Moose since busting out so early I sat down in the cash game. Poor seat choice of the two open as the player taking the 4 seat hit quads his second hand plus 2 full houses. A freeroll began at 3:00 and have not played that for a year or two. Signing up, was dismayed to find myself 18th alternate. Not good. Ultimately there were 63 alternates for a total of 113 players. I hit some big hands against frankly some very poor players, lots of them playing their first tournament. I made the final table with only 12,000 and ended up in 6th place when I shoved UTG with 9/9 and was called by the two biggest stacks (triple up hopes), but the luckbox old Asian woman playing probably her first tournament called with K/Q offsuit and flopped the king.
Goodnight.

No comments: