Thursday, January 19, 2012

Biggest Jerk at Table? Me.

Yesterday morning had a very brief session, around an hour. This hand came up: I am in late position holding a 5/8 suited. The flop comes 2/4/7 with two diamonds (I had clubs). Ali, a loose aggressive player, bets $8 into the $14 pot and I call with my gutshot draw with other players to act. Everyone folds and the turn brings my 6. Ali checks and I bet $20. He hesitates then calls. Turn brings a 3rd diamond and he bets $20, I call to see his flush. I then say, "Wow, you really like to gamble, you did not have odds to draw (ignoring the fact that I didn't either)". He responds, "I would have just checked it to you". Now, I am not prone to giving free cards when I don't have to, and it was obvious that a straight was possible. I then comment further about how he knocked me out of Sunday's tournament with his 7/9 offsuit call of two all-ins. The floor supervisor and dealer both tell me to get over it.

A few hands later, I am short stacked, and the following hand comes up: I am in the cutoff in a straddle and call $4 with K/J offsuit (king of spades) and the aggressive button raises to $24. Small blind, big blind and another player all call and I call. The flop brings A/x/x all spades. The small blind bets $8, the big blind raises to $28, the middle position player calls, and I reraise all-in to $48 and all but the small blind calls. The turn is a spade, the board does not pair and I rake a monster pot. Ali then comments, "guess you like to gamble". I see a wide difference in a small heads up pot and this hand, particularly being all-in and not having to pay to chase. However, I do apologize to Ali and leave a few hands later saying that I would be back "when I was in a better mood".

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

I think you were absolutely correct about both hands. I also think you were very wise to leave when you did. Some players simply annoy me (Ali is one of them) and I think it's a smart thing to just wait for another time. I will be playing Saturday at Joker's again. Hope to see you there!

7 Dewey said...

FOR SATURDAY . . . .

Happy birthday Doctor Phil.

I know that you'll never be over the hill.

For as we know . . . and I wouldn't lie.

"Old" poker players never die.

They just go all-in.

Have a GREAT day!!