Friday, July 12, 2013

Two Things that Will Drive You Crazy



I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are many more than 2 things that drive my crazy, but let's stick to a couple in poker for now.  This morning I was waiting for my O8 6 handed game to start.  I was the 2nd person to join the table.  Cards are dealt, heads up.  Now, heads up split pot games are usually a big time loser since the rake comes off the top and most pots are a chop.  Anyhow, before I can click "sit out next hand", the cards come to me and low and behold, I have a king high flush.  Nice.  Gotta bet it though in case low cards come for a split or the board pairs.  I bet, she calls.  Turn, no sweat, I bet, she calls.  River....perfect....no low, board not paired, I bet, she raises!!!  WTF!!!!  I call, she shows ace high flush.  Now, that drives me crazy.

Second thing driving me crazy.  In O8 I typically see the flop around 70% of the time.  While that sounds very loose and high, keep in mind most pots are not raised pre-flop and on most tables about 6 or 7 players will call, so pot odds favor a call.  You are in the blinds and only $5 to call from SB, and the button is, well, the button.  Just saying, many hands are playable in late position with a multi-way limped pot.  There are some hands I will not play no matter what (quads, trips..unless aces with a K, or 2, really raggedy hands with no connectors, suitedness, pair or ace.  Think 2/7/10/k rainbow on the raggedy hand.  As we know, any hand can flop huge, but generally we are better off starting with strong hands.  So, this morning I routinely mucked the above mentioned hand, despite decent pot odds, only to see the flop 2/2/7.  Lynne, you like apples?  How do you like them apples? (Just watched Good Will Hunting again).  Huge pot, won by some garbage flush.  Drives me crazy.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Actually, I'm more into pears and peaches, but that's just frickin' funny! I also think it's funny that you mentioned watching "Good Will Hunting" because I was thinking about watching it again after reading something about Matt Damon on Yahoo only 10 minutes before I read your post. I guess I better go get it from Netflix right now! Hope you have a great weekend & good luck at the Legion if you're playing today.