Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Play Money

Living in Cannon Beach, Oregon has benefits and drawbacks.  The obvious benefits are the beautiful beaches, ocean, weather (sometimes).  The drawback, for me, is the lack of poker.  Besides the American Legion game there are just a few others, including a sketchy restaurant back room, various fraternal organizations which I have never bothered to check out....though quite a few of our Legion regulars play so it would not be like walking into a totally strange environment.  That leaves online poker.  Since "black Friday", what, three years ago? I have only been able to play the free sites with their play money.  I ran my bankroll on Zynga up to over 3 million, but have grown disenchanted with facebook, so have quit that site.  Ditto with card player.  I won some money but then they switched to payment in lame ass "Dwalla" money, which as close as I can figure out is honored nearly nowhere.  Go google it sometime, you will see how lame it is.  So, for now, it is only Pokerstars free site.  I play mostly sit n go tournaments which have been lucrative, very easy to cash in them.  Also playing Omaha 8 which is my favorite game by far.  I know, I am a sick person.  It has been described as a game designed by sadists that is played by masochists.  I am afraid there is truth there.  It is a drawing game, and a river game, with the lead passing back and forth.  It is usually played with nearly a full table limping in, or worse, being jammed constantly by two or more players.  It only takes one maniac to make it tough while 2 will make your life miserable.  You get whipped back and forth on raises by the high hand, while maybe 2 lows that are going to end up "quartered" are re-raising.  Only the high hand wins in this scenario.

I played one particularly insane game this afternoon.  To give you a flavor, the two active players, who took turns raising and re-raising every street were named, "bingolady" and "loco"something.  Every pot was gianoromous and once you called the initial capped preflop raises by 8 players in this 10/20 limit game, you had to stay to the end with pot odds on any draw.  Sick.  I got felted my $400 starting buy in fairly quickly without winning a pot.  Rebuying I played tight and finally the maniacs lost their chips and left.  I fairly quickly ran my $400 rebuy up to around $1400 and quit, up $600.  Jeesh!

In some ways, a much sicker game is pot limit Omaha 8.  There should be some law against this game.  Not only do you have the high low thing going, but the pot limit can put your whole stack at risk every single hand.  A much better game is the high only.  At least you know why they are raising you.  I have played a couple of times, once doubling up and quitting, the other time with a small loss.  I have played this at the Venetian for real money (accidentally sat down) and quickly left after a couple of lost blinds.  it is a "big money" game and favored by the action junkies.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Believe it or not, I have never played online & I don't believe I ever will as long as it's illegal, specifically because I don't want to play for "play" money. The other reason is that I never realized how much fun it is to actually go hang out with people and play games. I never did it until after my husband died & I was never very social, so it surprises me every time how much fun I have.

As for living at Cannon Beach, I envy you terribly. My daughter lives in Waldport & I envy her too. I only get to visit the coast about once every 2 years (mainly because I waste all my money on this stupid game) but I can simply sit and look at the ocean for about an hour and I'm good to go. It is the most beautiful and relaxing place I know. I am super jealous.

Good luck with Omaha! You are definitely a little crazy to love that game so much. I think I would prefer high only if I was going to play. See you sometime!