Sunday, July 14, 2013

Neighborhood Watch Guy

This whole Zimmerman/Martin episode reminded me of a time 40+ years ago.  I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas and living in the base married housing with my new wife and new baby.  This housing was for low level enlisted people, huge complex with identical tiny houses (though they were 2 bedroom).  Everyone was about the same age, early 20's or late teens, and most had a baby.  It was a great neighborhood, we became friends with all of the folks on our block.  We fondly remember this time as one of our happiest, despite living in a house that rented for $37 a month.

My neighbor, Mickey came to me one day and said, "Phil, last night I saw a guy peeping in windows.  I think he did it before, too."  The weekend was coming up and Mickey asked me if I had a weapon.  I said, "Sure, I've got my 410 shotgun".  He suggested we sit up and see if we could catch the guy.  I agreed to do so, and sat in our little mudroom for a few hours in the dark, feeling pretty silly.  Finally, around midnight, called it a day and went to bed.

A very short time later, I hear shots ringing out, and Mickey shouting "Halt".  I said, "Damn, Mickey got him!"  I grabbed my shotgun and ran out the door.  Between our houses stood a young serviceman, trembling, while Mickey held his revolver on him.  Mickey was also shaking like a leaf.  He said, "Hold him while I call the MP's".  I agreed, leveling my shotgun on the guy, who was going nowhere.  A few minutes later, the MP's arrive to arrest the guy.  Mickey and I high five (doubtful memory...high fives had not been invented yet), and go to bed.  Oh, by the way, Mickey was a Caucasian, the guy was an African-American.  I am thankful that we did not end up with a Treyvon Martin/George Zimmerman type of situation as he definitely could have been shot, but not with skittles or Arizona ice tea, they had not been invented yet.   

No comments: