Saturday, July 20, 2013

Legion Recap



Being as how I have been running major league card dead, my expectations for the Legion last night were exceptionally low.  I was not disappointed.  Drawing table 2, the one I usually deal, an older player was killing the game, winning the first 4 hands we played.  I was getting my usual garbage and folding, or small pairs and calling only to fold after the flop.  I was eliminated in 3 hands within one rotation.

Hand #1.  The old guy won a few more hands, uncontested, and when he raised yet again, I called with A/9.  The flop was middlish, 8 high.  He bet 2x the BB and I decided he had something like a big ace that did not connect with the flop, so I decided to raise to $300.  He flat called.  Well, I was hoping to take it down there or at least have my hand better defined but that didn't happen.  Another middle card came on the turn, again he bet $80.  I flat called.  River pairs 6's, he again bets $120 this time.  I raise to $400, he calls and tables pocket aces.  Hmmm, lost almost half my chips on that fiasco.

Hand #2.  Maybe 2 or 3 hands later, in the BB I have KJ.  Lots of limpers, including the UTG.  Flop is 8 high, very connected.  We all check.  Turn is K, I bet $120 and am raised to $400 by UTG.  I question him, "are you slow playing a flopped straight?"  He doesn't answer.  River is an ace, I check, he thinks a bit, then bets $350, about half my stack.  I call, he turns over K8 for two pair.  Granted, they were suited, but really?  King 8 UTG is a crap hand.

Hand #3.   Now extremely short stacked two hands later, on the button, I have 8/8.  There are a couple of limpers, and with blinds at 20/40, I go ahead a shove.  Everyone folds except a woman playing for the first time.  She calls with A/6 suited.  Naturally, an ace comes on the flop and no rescue on the turn or river.  Nice call, lady.  there is literally no hand I am shoving with that she is ahead of.

I leave the tournament, first out in quite a while.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Hand #1: oops. Bad read, that's all.
Hand #2: You are absolutely right that K8 is terrible UTG and you should have won.
Hand #3: You said it was her first time playing so maybe she thinks any ace is good. She will learn the hard way.
Keep your chin up!!

7 Dewey said...

P.S. What's with the Grim Reaper hanging out with the 7dewey? I just don't understand - LOL!