Sunday, August 26, 2012

Beaten By Bigger

It occurred to me that one of the most frustrating times in poker is when you are beaten by a bigger hand when you make the hand you are trying to make.  Some examples that I thought about are:

Set over set
Straight beaten by a bigger straight
Flush beaten by a bigger flush
Full house beaten by a bigger full house
Top pair beaten by either a bigger kicker or a worse kicker that pairs

Probably the most frustrating to me is the bad kicker that lucks out.  Today, playing online I shoved under the gun with AA and the big stack overshoves with AQ, then another big stack calls with Q8.  A queen hits the flop and the turn is an 8.  Unbelievable!!!

In another tournament I raise with JJ and called by big stack.  Then another player shoves, I over shove and play him heads up when the big stack folds.  He has A10, hits a 10 on the flop and another on the turn.  I am now a fairly short stack.

Busted out of two tournaments online tonight.  The first one, I shove a fairly short stack with 3/3 and am overshoved by K/4 who is then called by A/5.  Good till river when a 4 hits.  Unbelievably bad play rewarded.

Next tournament 8/8 shoves, I call with A/A and another short stack calls with 6/8.  A flop of 5/9/x gives hope to the gutshot, but only a one outer can save the 8's.  He hits it on the river.  Unbelievable!!!

Back home tonight after two lightning trips to Seattle.  Mother & daughter doing o.k., Meg was readmitted to the hospital but seems to be recovering.  New granddaughter is beautiful, looks a lot like her dad.  Eva Venkatachalapathy is a sweetie!!! 

No comments: