Thursday, December 4, 2008

Schadenfreude

The definition of Schadenfreude (German) is "pleasure taken from observing the misery of another". I have been aware that I must constantly keep on guard from this, especially after taking a "bad beat" from another player. Tonight I flopped a set of 7's (that is a pair of sevens in your hand, and one on the board for you non-poker players) on a big pot with raises and reraises pre-flop. The board was a low flop with no straights, so I kept betting. "Frost" calls all the way with an 8/4 offsuit and rivers a straight to take down a big pot. It is difficult not to take pleasure as he pulls another $100 off his bankroll. I have learned that people will chase with very marginal holdings (this is the same hand that busted me earlier this week). He was critical of my play on another hand that I called $2. more in the small blind with queen/3 offsuit, with at least 6 players limping in, and then flopping trip 3's and turning a full house. He really could not see the difference between calling in my position and his very dumb call in middle position.

The talk at the table was about the big fight he and "Jeff" got into the night before. It had to do with poker etiquette (yes, there is such a thing). It ended with some shouting, calling out, and ultimately both players being kicked out of the game. It is very difficult sometimes to enjoy the game when sitting for long periods with obnoxious people.

Update on winning streak.....it is still alive! I won a little last night (I think $40. in the cash game, plus chopped 1st place in the Omaha tournament. Total winnings about $100. Tonight a very small win, $60, after being down $100, then up about $200. Quit while you are ahead is my new motto.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I left a comment already & it didn't appear to post, so please forgive me if you get this twice. First, I assume that the "Jeff" you are talking about is the "Jeff" I'm thinking about. People like this should be taken with a grain of salt. I like him most of the time, but when he starts ragging on people about playing in turn & their lack of poker etiquette, it really drives me bonkers. Tell people once & forget about it. It's up to the dealers to take care of stuff like this. I'm glad "Frost" and he had a little tiff. Perhaps "Jeff" will settle down a bit, although I doubt it.

Second, "Frost" and "Angela" are cut from the same cloth and you should never be surprised when they clobber you on the river or when they have to pull out more money. That's just the way they play. I wish you much better luck the next time you flop a set. I hope to see you at Saturday's tournament!