Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve Bubble Boy

Christmas Eve was officially bad this year. The kids are unable to get to the beach from Portland. Helene was visiting some Mexican girls that she is tutoring and severely turned her ankle leaving their apartment. She had invited them to services at the church so Meg and I ended up taking them. Since they did not know the words to the caroles they sat quietly and listened. They had cooked some tortillas for us which were awesome, very authentic wrapped in banana leaves (I have not seen that particular item at Safeway). Anyway, everyone except me fell asleep and I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" alone while reading a book during commercials. I am really into the book, "The Pillars of the Earth", just can't put it down.

Anyway to the bubble boy part. I have lately been the bubble boy on 3 consecutive tournaments which is very frustrating! I had control of this one (18 person SNG), with top chip count most of the time. We got down to final table and I went card dead as the blinds escalated. I limped in on the button with Q-10 offsuit, the small blind (chip leader) folded and I was just against the big blind with 5 of us left (pays 4). The flop was 5/10/A with 2 diamonds. The blind checked and I bet the pot with second pair. He check raises all-in. I thought for a moment, decided that even if he had an ace that he had slow played, I had him covered by about 500 and I would not be drawing dead , but really suspected a steal. I called to see A/10, yes I was drawing virtually dead! The next hand I had QJ and blinds were next (300), so I pushed a limper and the big blind who both naturally called quickly. They both had a weak ace, the flop had 2 kings but no help for me, bye-bye bubble boy!!!

No comments: