Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hunting Bear at Christmas

Yesterday was an adventure, or as we call it "Bear Hunting". You know how the saying goes, "sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you". Yesterday I decided that the roads had cleared enough on Hwy. 30 and I-5 to drive to Seattle to pick up Meg for Christmas. She had a reservation on Greyhound to Portland but had heard that they were taking passengers in order of reservation which meant that those cancelled trips were ahead of her. I thought it would be a great Christmas gift to drive up, pick her up, and drive right back. Also, someone who heard I was considering this told me about an older woman trying to get to Seattle to be with her family. So at 8:55 a.m. I called her, asked if she could be ready in 20 minutes (she did!), and we left by 9:30. It was not a "white knuckler" at any point in the trip and I was treated to a complete life history of my passenger. The trip took about 4 1/2 hours up and longer coming back. Mercer Street in Seattle was a parking lot and it took a half hour just to get on the freeway. Meg and I had a nice talk and drive back, getting home at 9:15. I was pretty done in (just enough energy to play in a SNG...one out of the money) and go to bed. Nice day hunting bear, he didn't get me this time.

No comments: