Saturday, December 6, 2008

Back Down To Earth

After running super hot all week, I am back with my feet firmly on the ground. Yesterday I played in the 10 a.m. Moose tournament and got knocked out with consecutive tough beats. The first was KK vs. AQ. He "of course" caught his ace for most of my chips. I was all-in on the next hand in the big blind with A8 suited. With two callers I was happy to try to triple up and stay alive for a round. My nemesis at the table (there is always one person who you cannot ever beat), Pat, calls with 66 and catches a 6 on the flop...I caught an 8, a 4 flush, and ultimately ace on the river for two pair, which would have beaten about any other hand. Oh well. The cash game afterwards was horrible. Very good players with one action junky always raising. I lost almost $300 with very good cards and draws that wouldn't stand up or come in. That was it for me for the day.

Saturday 8 a.m. tourney at the Moose: 7th place (sorry Mike) after my pocket 10's all-in are called by a big stack with..........drum roll please..........AQ!!!!!! The worst hand to call an all-in with knocks me out twice in 24 hours!!! Haven't these guys ever heard of AK? Mike made me promise to tell a story once in a while where I sucked out on someone, so I have to say that I played 9/3 suited (Matilda, as we call it), limping in, then catching a 3 plus a 4 flush draw on the flop. I called a $200 bet, then a $500 bet, and won the pot when a small beautiful "hello darling" heart fell on the river. It was checked to me, but couldn't even value bet in case he was trapping with a bigger heart draw. Bad play rewarded. But, as I explained, had some history with this player from a previous tournament where a string bet was challenged by me, and I sucked out on the river (oops, now it is two stories where a donkey wins!). Guess those two stories can go into his blog of bad beats.

No comments: