Thursday, April 30, 2015

Flopped Royal


Playing today in a pot limit omaha game I had my ups and downs.  With a $1000 maximum buy-in, I was up to around $3000 and got stacked with my set of kings plus nut straight draw and nut low draw losing to a rivered flush.  Buying in again, I had gotten back to around 3K when this hand came up.  Notice the almost equal starting hand values.  His hand was actually a little stronger with the queen vs. my 7.  Nice flop for me with a royal flush, and checking the flop I was rewarded when the 2nd queen hit.  He called my pot sized raise, and gave me almost all his chips on the river with the queens full of 2's.

I am really interested in learning to play PLO better as it is a great action game and can generate monster pots.  I would like to try my hand in Vegas in June but need some serious practice, reading and maybe coaching.  I was talking to Ray Zee last night about it, he is a serious expert in the game, playing a huge game in Montana regularly.  Got his phone number and will try to sit with him for a while and get some tips.  I may have mentioned Ray in an earlier post, but he is an old time poker pro, even attending the very first WSOP and has published several poker books.  He said he was offered the opportunity to get his picture taken with the players (the one they display at Binion's), but he turned down the historic offer.  Just not that big a deal at the time.  He has a million stories. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I don't think I've ever heard about Ray Zee before. He sounds fascinating. Hope you learn a lot from him.

That was an awesome flop for you and the perfect storm. I have had 3 royals, two of which were with only one card in my hand. In one I had the A of spades, in the other the K of spades. On my 3rd one with two cards in my hand, I held AK spades. I believe spades is my suit. Yours too apparently. Great hand.