Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Wheels Came Off in Wheeler

My day started great yesterday.  Enrolling in the Americas Cardroom freeroll along with 621 of my poker buddies, I managed to take down my 2nd win in this bad boy for a total of $2.50.  While the money wasn't big, it does buy some entries into bigger tournaments.  I am on a mission to roll the money up big time.



So, full of errr confidence I made the drive to Wheeler fully expecting to win there.  I loosened up with my favorite "Old Chubb" dark beer and enjoyed the "Hog wings" appetizer.  Unfortunately I was asked to deal table 3 as we had 21 players.  Drinking the beer before dealing may have been a mistake as many errors were made by me.  Fortunately only 3 had to bust out before my dealing was done.  I lost a big pot the very first hand, raising with AJ, called by RB (stands for Rat Bastard) with A/10.  Kept firing into the 10 high flop.  Hmmm.  So much for my continuation, however the problem was being out of position and really did not lose more than 1/3 of my stack due to the possibility that I had the overpair.  Oh well, I never really gained traction in the tournament getting up to maybe 3 starting stacks maximum.  Had QQ 3 times, winning twice mostly because of pre-flop folds, losing the third time to AK on a king high flop with 3 spades.  I tanked for a bit when he bet big since I had the queen of spades, but made the good laydown.

Last hand, I am in the big blind for 800, with QJ of hearts.  UTG makes it 3000 to go, everyone folds to me.  I have only 1800 behind, will be in for 400 next hand.  What do you think I did?  Well, obviously since it was my final hand I called.  He tabled AK off.  I fully expected to see a small pair here with his large bet, but happy enough to get it in with live cards and suite.  I failed to connect and his AK high won.  I came in 6th place.  Did not really play poorly, just never really got going.  Ran the hand through my odds calculator and I was 40% to win pre-flop.  Given stack size and blind situation was a great call. 

No comments: