Thursday, April 16, 2015

Momma Told Me (Not to Come)

"That's Not The Way to Have Fun, Son"



When the voice of reason calls, there I am to ignore it.  Wednesday at Wheeler, after a very good run there I have hit the skids.  I pondered long and hard about making the 20 minute drive.  Decided to go anyway.  I was asked to deal table 3 (24 players), and chipped up nicely.  My best hand was JJ, I raised, called by 10/10.  Flop was 6/6/6 (sign of the cross quickly made), she led out, I raised, we got them all in and I doubled up.  Later, one of my new nemesis players raised to 200, I called with QQ and saw a king high flop.  He led out 200 with about 600 behind and I tanked momentarily.  If he had more chips I would have folded, but decided to pot commit and re-raise him all-in.  He tables AA and I am below starting chip stack.

Combining to 2 tables I eliminate a player when I have AA vs. his A/10.  I reach the final table with below average stack.  One player is railed, down to 8 players.  I am in the small blind at the 200/400 level with 7/8 off.  The big blind has been known to get out of hand, and the nemesis from earlier (he has knocked me out twice before) is on the button.  Pondered a small blind fold, but hoping to get a great flop and chip up.  We see the flop 3 handed and it is 8/9/J with 2 diamonds.  I have 1600 behind and make the (bad) decision to shove.  Me reasoning?  It is a draw heavy board and I caught a piece of it plus a draw.  They both call.  The turn is what I assume is a great card for me, an 8 giving me trips, but the river brings the flush in and both players shove.  The big blind turns over 10/6 of diamonds for the flush, but my nemesis has 8/9 of spades for the full house.  The big blind survives as he had more chips, but player down.....me.

A quick observation.  When you are running bad, really bad stuff happens no matter how strong you are.  Playing an 18 player SNG this morning, down to the bubble, I am in the big blind with my old buddy, 7/8 again and am 2nd in chips.  The flop is unbelievable for me 6/9/10 rainbow!  Leading out is the chip leader from the small blind, and I happily re-raise him.  He shoves and I call, he turns over his slow played AA!!!!  The turn is an ace, and the river is a 6 for his full house runner runner.  Player down out of the money. 

No comments: