Saturday, April 18, 2015

But Wait.....Just When You Think You Have Seen The Worst Play



John was on fire last night at the Legion.  Moving to the final table with me still in the game (all 3 dealers were still in...if that tells you anything) and dealing I got to see a couple of the worst plays ever.  I was an early victim of John, I raised with AJ, he called with J/10, and the flop came out J/10/x.  I was running a short stack (probably should have just pre-flop shoved), but likely he would have called anyway with about 1/2 of all chips in play.  I was lucky to still be around as had majorly sucked out a little earlier (see I can do it too), when I shoved from the button with A/7 and was called by AQ suited.  The flop had 2 clubs, went runners on clubs, I had the 7 of clubs.  I don't get on the giving end of that kind of beat very often.

There was an older player who had really chipped up.  Frankly, he was clearly a tight passive player with not much tournament experience.  It was the first time I have seen him play.  Twice he won huge stacks by limp/calling to the river with monsters (AA the first time, KK the second).  He moved to table 2 and returned with a much smaller stack (thanks to John) for the final 9.  He was involved with the hand that was insane.

John raised large pre-flop with a weak ace (maybe A/6), and is called by I think 3 players, including one who shoves, the elderly gentleman, and my nemesis Gary.  The flop is 3/3/3, and all players check.  The turn is the case 3.  And now, John bets large. Gary looks at his cards, shows me (he is sitting in the 9 seat next to me) his weak ace, and folds.  The elderly gentleman calls, showing J/J.  The all-in player has king high and two players go down.  Amazingly, the elderly guy never bet, yet called with his jacks, more amazingly Gary folds the nuts (and half of the high hand money $58). Wow! I have seldom seen such bad calls and folds.

Final tournament result:  John wins with 3 way chop plus $100.  Mike and Eric share the spoils.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Wow that is really bad. I can't imagine not playing JJ more strongly or folding an ace when there are four 3s on board. Some people just amaze me.

I took my granddaughter to Steve's tournament yesterday. Thought that would be a good way to introduce her to tournament play. No pressure. She did pretty well for her first time, actually knocking out the donkey and almost making the final table. She said if she hadn't listened to me she would have lasted longer - LOL.