Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Only a Certain Number of Heartbeats


I was sitting around (imagine that!) and felt my heart beating.  That led me to speculation as to how many heartbeats we "get" during our lifetimes.  My estimate fell fall short of the statistics on the above chart.  How does that relate to poker you ask?  The heartbeats we are allotted in our lifetimes are fairly finite.  The bad pokerbeats we get seem to be almost infinite.  Lately I have been receiving my fair share plus.  Just to recall the past week's last hand of the tournament, Wednesday I got it all in good with AJ vs. A10, even hitting my jack on the flop.  A queen king knocked me out for his broadway straight.  Friday night I went all in with A2 and was called by K10 (I was on the button, he had limped from early position).  Despite hitting a 2 on the flop which was not needed, I lost to a 10 on the turn.  By the way, same player as Wednesday.  In frustration, I yelled at him, "How does it feel to always get your money in bad against me?"

And finally, the big Sunday tournament, I go all in with no chips with 4/4.  Doomed to failure with 2 callers, but once again going all-in with the best starting hand.  My only bright spot Sunday was dealing earned me $80 which almost paid the $100 entry fee.  I will be so happy when my string of bad beats ends and I again rise to the heights of pokerdom.

3 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Quite an interesting chart. I found the whale fascinating - very low heart rate and great longevity. I aspire to be a poker "whale" LOL.

Sorry about your bad beats. At least (as far as I know) you are not at a table where a fist fight breaks out - Frosty & Miguel got into it on Monday night. Sheesh.

As for AJ vs A-10 - I had AJ in the Friday tournament and got it in good (or so I thought) against A-10 but he spiked a 10 and that's what left me short stacked at the final table. Phooey.

Phil said...

Did Frosty & Miguel get 86'd?

7 Dewey said...

Found out last night that Miguel (who has never been in trouble before) got banned for 30 days. Rick (who just got back from being banned) has been banned forever.