Saturday, April 4, 2015

Good Friday (But Not For Poker)

I am thinking about writing a book about last night's poker game at the Legion.  Here are a few of the chapters.
  1. If you can't win playing online poker, skip live poker.
  2. Listen to your gut.
  3. Listen to your own advice about C-Bets.
  4. Learn how to deal.
  5. What happens when a #9 trouble hand meets #1 trouble hand?
Chapter 1 begins with me losing badly in several online games.  Games I normally crush.  Games I own.  Games where I normally play smart.  Took every beat possible and no draw ever came in except for my opponents.  This is usually a big signal to me that I do not belong in a "real" game. Signal ignored.

Chapter 2, I am relaxing watching "Killing Jesus" on tv.  It is Good Friday.  My gut tells me that this is a day for religious reflection.  But then I think (not listening to my gut), hey, prayer in the pokerroom is always heartfelt (please, bring the club on the river).  But no, like a dummy a deaf ear is turned.

Chapter 3, I just friggin wrote about the importance of the C-Bet.  How could I not do it here!!!!  The situation was very early in the tournament.  Zach, an excellent player who is making oodles of big money in big tournaments raises from early position.  There is a caller.  I have QQ, I raise to $200.  They both call.  The flop is 9/9/Q.  Hallelujah!  It is checked to me.  Craftily (not wisely), I check behind reasoning (I think) that there are no hands out there that can call me.  The turn is an ace and Zach bets a couple hundred, the other player folds and I flat call.  Now I begin overthinking.  Does he have pocket aces?  The river is a brick and Zach bets $250, I raise to $500.  He calls and turns over A/9 for the underfull.  That is great, except I missed an excellent opportunity to get all of his chips.  He later states that he never had an opportunity to check raise me.

More about c-bets.  I am in position against two callers from my pre-flop raise with my AQ.  With a jack high flop we all check.  King on the turn, we all check.  River a brick, we all check.  We all turn over AQ for a 3 way chop.  There is no way I could have not won the whole pot (and probably a larger one) with 1 or 2 continuation bets.  My bad again.

Chapter 4, I am heads up all-in (I have lots more) with Matt.  We both reveal AQ suited.  No flushes come and it is a chopped pot.  Somehow I get my bet mixed up with the pot and chop 1/2 my chips (not the overage, just the original ones.  Matt ends up enjoying an extra 500, and I lose 500.  Idiot!  This would not have happened if I was not dealing.

Chapter 5, my last hand was a shove with A/10 of clubs.  I am called by AQ.  Player down.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY PHIL-

THANKS FOR THE $165 HAND LAST NITE. THAT JJJJA HAND AGAINST 222JJ GAVE ME THE MIRACLE HIGH HAND FOR THE NITE WORTH $70 AND KEPT ME IN UNTIL I FINISHED 5TH OUT OF THE 36 PLAYERS FOR $95.

MIKE

Anonymous said...

I SHOULD ALSO MENTION IT WAS AN "ALLIN".

7 Dewey said...

I don't think anyone in their right mind would have made a C-bet after flopping a full house. Period. I know I wouldn't. Sure, you would have made more in the end, but it's just bad poker. The only hand that could beat you was 99 although you may have been worried about AA on the turn. This just highlights my point that C-bets are not always the way to go.

Phil said...

Yes, Lynne, that is why I made the exception, did not think I would get a call. That said, it was still a mistake as the c-bet when you flop a monster gives cover to those times when you don't. It almost looks suspicious when you don't do it, and as my opponent said, he never got a chance to check raise me. I always want my opponents to be guessing when I c-bet. Did he flop air, a draw, a monster? The debate continues.

7 Dewey said...

Aarrgg. Just like a guy - always have to have the last word LOL. You always seem to have an answer. I will think about this some more. Perhaps I will try more c-betting and find out what happens. Don't forget to send good poker vibes my way this Friday. Thanks!

Phil said...

No I don't have to have the last word, LOL!