Friday, April 24, 2015

Poker Road Trip

First my apologies to my favorite blog follower, Lynne.  Sorry I didn't clarify that I would be in town and give you my poker play times.  I really didn't play that much and ended up visiting other friends most of the time.

Now, here is my sad poker story.  Only played one tournament as too tired Monday night after my drive and decided to play cash game on Tuesday.  That was a mistake as it was the usual "coffee club" game of the rocks playing only the nut premium hands.  I ended up losing $20 after a few hours of play.  Wednesday played in the morning tournament for a total of 2 hands.  The first hand I folded, Clark is eliminated with his KK vs. AA.  Second hand I called a $100 raise from the player to my immediate right with pocket 3's.  Half the table called so it was a bloated pot.  The flop was 5/7/3 with two diamonds.  The pre-flop raiser bet $300 and I raised to $600 to shut down the flush and straight draws plus giving overpairs really bad odds.  One player called and the raiser folded along with the rest of the table.  The turn was a non-diamond 9, and with the pot so large I shoved.  He called and tabled pocket 9's.  Nice hit on your 2 outer stud!

So, eliminated early I was in for the cash game which started about 45 minutes later.  Got stacked early on my $120 buy-in by Doug who was on a major heater and doesn't know how to fold a hand.  Two re-buys later I was in to the game $320, my last buy-in caused by my huge raise with AA which was called by "one of my favorite hands" kid with J/7 off.  His 7 made a straight on the river.  He then proceeded to go on a heater, racking up at least $800.  I had moved to the "hot" seat that Doug had left and was in the "1" seat, while the kid was in the "3" seat.  Remember that for a moment and I will tell you how I should have played.

Made a major comeback eventually losing "only" $60, funny how that can seem like a win when you are down so far.  The table was insane, with someone (usually the kid) raising pre-flop almost every hand....and not small raises.  Three guys from some Tennessee company were playing and 2 of them also racked up big.  One was in the "2" and another in the "4".  They were all chatty and friendly with the kid who had just graduated from law school.  How an unemployed student can afford that game is a mystery to me.  Guessing rich parents.

Anyhow, I figured out later that my ultimate winning strategy would have been to button or UTG straddle every hand.  As many of you know, I am not a big fan of the straddle as I prefer to raise with real hands, but thinking about my position on the table it would have been a winning strategy.  The kid was raising out of the blinds with great frequency, usually in the 15-20 range after a bunch of limpers came in.  How awesome would it have been if I was button straddling, forcing him to have 2nd action with the entire table with better position and me with a mystery hand to put in a big raise? By the same token, an UTG straddle would have forced him to play early for bigger pots.  Also not a winning strategy.  This is a somewhat unique situation and not optimal for most tables, but perfect for this one.  I usually prefer to have the extremely loose aggressive player to my right so I can see the raises coming and re-raise to isolate, but this idea works too.

After my mediocre results decided to pack it in and go home on Thursday.  Son-in-law arrived late last night and poker tonight at the Legion.

Interesting article forwarded to me by poker buddy Mike.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/place-your-bets-%E2%80%98brains-vs-artificial-intelligence%E2%80%99-event-will-determine-poker-champion/ar-AAbAzL1

   

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

You are forgiven poker husband but there may be a divorce in the future if you do it again - LOL (just kidding). Sorry your trip wasn't profitable. Next time you will need to try for a weekend so you can at least play the Sunday tournament - maybe the $115 at the end of the month. That's a good one.