Thursday, September 1, 2011

Poker Etiquette

A discussion came up today at the table regarding poker etiquette after a player "slow rolled" in a manner of speaking.  In a monster pot, he announced that he "had nothing", when in fact he had flopped a set of jacks, which were the winning hand despite a very coordinated board and flush possibilities.  Another player became quite angry.  This brings up the subject of good poker etiquette.  Some things that come to mind are:
1.  Slow rolling.  This can range from turning over one card, then delaying turning the other.  One player in particular likes to slowly spread his cards when he has a winner.  In general, i believe that you should quickly turn over what you believe to be the winning hand whether you be the bettor or the caller.

2.  Folding hands out of order.  This is a pet peeve of mine.

3.  Mucking cards in early position, particularly the blinds, when the flop comes ugly for your hand.  This relieves the pressure of a possible checkraise and is unfair to the other players.

4. Berating players for their choice of starting cards.  Don't tap on the aquarium, it disturbs the fish.

5.  Overtipping the dealers.  This is just stupid, not manners.  I have seen people give a dealer $10 out of a $100 pot and half the money is theirs.

6.  Visibly reacting when two of kind appear on the flop.  This clues the player with the one remaining one that his opponent(s) don't have it.  Really bad when 3 of a kind hit.

7.  Showing one card after opponent folds.  Especially the non critical one (showing a 2 of hearts when there is a 4 card flush/straight where the 2 doesn't help).  This is just annoying.

What are your peeves?

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

My number 1 pet peeve is slow rolling. If you play the cards you should roll them over as soon as the hand is over. That's it. No excuses. Marco drives me absolutely nutso-bonkers. I'm sure he's the one you were referring to who slowly slides the top card off the bottom card. Aaarrrgh! I HATE THAT!! I will let people know it too. If someone slow rolls me they will hear about it for a while.

Berating other players is simply never acceptable. End of comment.

The only time I over-tip is if I've won a monte carlo too. Otherwise - $1 sometimes $2 depending on size of pot. This really isn't a pet peeve of mine. Other people can do what they want with their money.

I think that's about it. Oh, I guess I'm one of the people who sometimes shows one card. I'm trying to get out of that habit because I'm trying super hard to never show unless I have to. It's tough.

Anyway, slow rolling sucks. That's number one & it will always remain so. Hope to see you soon.