Friday, September 30, 2011

Calling Stations

In some ways one of the toughest players is the calling station.  You know the guy?  Flops a pair and will not go away in spite of any bet(s).  You absolutely can not bluff them, nor should you try.  I am running into a lot of these in the free online games, particularly at the lower buy in levels.  Add to the fact that they will also call many times against demonstrated strengths like a raise with a reraise behind it, or a call a big raise out of position.  They are also in many hands since they just love to limp in to see a flop.

I am finding success with this player by playing just like them with one obvious difference.  I am limping more with big and potentially big hands, then punishing them when I connect.  I play very tight, so my starting hands are nearly always stronger, thus I get their chips on a top pair flop with better kicker, a flopped set against their two pair (you can often put them on this with a ragged flop) or a higher flush.

One of the keys in playing against a calling station (or several of them at the table) is to keep pots small with just a single pair, whether it be top pair or an overpair.  Because their calling range is so large the first hand I put them on when they are overly aggressive is 2 pair.  Also, if they are calling you along with potential flush or straight draws out there, they have no idea usually of pot odds and thus it is nearly impossible to shake them from a flush or straight draw.  Thus a better plan is to try for pot control and make it expensive, but not get them pot committed on their draws.  I do tend to bet pot size when the obvious draws are out there, but slow it up a bit after the first call.

On another topic, tonight was my night at the Legion.  2nd place with never more than double the starting chip stack.  Just stayed out of the way most of the time and shoved with decent hands.  Got lucky at the end when 3 handed and the two monster stacks clashed...one with a flopped set, the other with nut flush draw in hearts.  The shorter stack on the draw hit on the river, but it was a heart that paired the board.  I played one hand after that, push all in from the big blind with pocket 8's and called by 7/8 offsuit.  Runner hearts did me in on his dominated hand.  Total win $259 less $20 dealer tip plus $40 buy in, for a net of $199.

No comments: