Monday, September 12, 2011

I always check when heads up....right.

Had some confrontation with an unnamed Hispanic man this week.  He raised preflop (with aces) out of the straddle he created, I snap called after limping with 4/7 (Suited!!!!).  Another player also called.  With two hearts on the flop he bets $20 which I call and the other player folds.  The turn brings my heart and he checks with a comment about "never betting heads up" and I bet.  He acts all surprised and hurt but calls.  The river is a blank, but I check anyway and he gets all pissy about my calling with 4/7 and keeps on yapping for a while.  The next day I try to shake his hand, and he won't do it.   We talk for a while about it and he tells me "I just want to have fun and don't care about the money".  I have seen his act for a long time and know that he will have a friendly check down if he doesn't have the nuts, but will bet to "protect his hand".  Hmmmm.  Later watched him betting heads up against another player.

The very next day, playing against him and a preflop raise I called with pocket 5's.  Hitting a set, and with another player in the hand, I checked, he bet, the other player folded and I check raised.  He then folded making a comment about "just bet your hand, man".  What a joke.  I should have done the slow roll spread cards slowly that he loves so much.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

We discussed this the last time I saw you so you know that I know who you are talking about. I am a firm believer in never just "checking it down" unless trying to knock someone out in a tournament. It usually leads to the other person(s) getting cards to beat me with. Even in a tournament when someone is all-in I will bet my hand if I firmly believe it is best. This guy drives me nuts. I can't believe he wouldn't shake your hand. Rude.