Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ups 'N Downs

Monday Moose Tournament

My Monday started off very bad indeed.  Playing the first hand of the tournament I limped in late position with A/7 suited spades.  Miguel's mom and 2 other players limped and the blinds checked.  The flop was 9/9/A with 2 diamonds.  Checked to me, I bet $75 as a feeler bet.  Everyone folded except Mrs. Miguel, seated immediately to my right in the 6 seat.  Rut row.  The turn is the 7 of diamonds completing the flush draw and after she checks, I check smelling a trap.  The river is another 7 and gives me the full house.  Excellent, her trap has trapped the trappee.  She checks, I value bet $250 and she check raises to $500!  Great, I push all in only to see her table the 6/9 offsuit for 9's full of 7's to beat my 7's full of aces.  I am stunned and then realize that I played like a complete donkey.  I take my name off the cash game list and leave for the day because I realized that I had no business playing so stupid.  It is never smart to get all your chips in on an underfull, but I leave wondering what kind of player limps the first hand in middle position with 6/9 offsuit.  whatever.

Wednesday Moose Tournament

Just have to report on the worst play ever seen of pocket aces (not me).  Sitting in the 1 seat an older fellow checks his small blind, and I check my 2/3.  There is at least one limper, probably several more.  The flop is K/X/X and we check to the UTG who bets 300.  The small blind check raises to 600 and they are heads up after he calls.  The turn is straightish, and the small blind bets $200.  Call.  The river is a jack, and he bets $200 again.  Call.   UTG turns over K/J for 2 pair and SB shows AA.  Nicely played sir!

I make it to the final table and have words with Kathleen time after time.  She really thinks she understands my play and is deeply resentful of my raises from the button of her big blind, which I do 3 or 4 times, showing big hands all but one time (AQ twice, pocket 10's once, and then...8/9 suited which tilts her a bit).  Anyway, she gets her "revenge" on me at the 300/600 level when I push with 5/5 having around 3500 in chips and she calls with J/J.  Oh well.  Next time.

Short Cash Game, Big Results

Planning to leave for home Wednesday I played for around an hour in the cash game.  My first big hand was A/8 which flopped two aces and rivered an 8 for the winner of the 1:00 high hand.  Second big hand was pocket aces in BB.  With several limpers, I made it $9 to go.  Everyone folded except one player.  Flop was rainbow disconnected with an ace, so I checked to trap.  He checked.  Turn is junk, I check again, he checks behind.  River, ace!!!!  With quad aces, no hand he could possibly call a bet with, and grateful he did not fold preflop, I check again and he checks behind.  $138  Monte Carlo.  I have to hit the road, so I cash out for a $250 win.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I am so glad to see I'm not the only one who plays like an idiot from time-to-time. I needed that. But you are right . . . Miguel's mom (Carmen?) shouldn't have limped with 6-9 offsuit, but it's only 25 to go right? Almost anything is playable at that point in the tournament. Still unlucky for you.

As for Kathleen, I love raising her whenever I can. She just gets so damned upset. I've put her on tilt more than once & she gets so mad it's funny to me. I use the raise as a weapon against her whenever I think I can get away with it.

Good job on your cash game. Thought you were hanging round until after Steve's tournament on Sunday. Perhaps you will return. See you then!