Friday, September 9, 2011

Bad Beats Abound

Let me begin by saying that the "morning Moose" is not my favorite tournament.  With it's blazing fast blinds and loose players it can be a nightmare.  But hey, it's only $25 and if you bust out early you get a seat in the usually bad cash game.  Kind of a "lose/lose" situation.  So, yesterday I was handed two of the worst beats I have enjoyed for a while.  With blinds escalating and me with about double starting stack size I push all in from early position with....Q/Q and am called by a shorter stack with....A/10.  O.K., I get it, he figures I am pushing with just any ace or a small pair.  He has outs.  So the flop comes BINGO!  Queen/ little/little, no flush draws, no connection.  I comment to Kevin, "Drawing dead".  Nope, not when runner J and K come for the broadway straight.  Nice dealing Kev.

Two hands later I am in the small blind for about 1/2 my chips with Q/8.  I call to see the flop heads up with the big blind, who is pretty short stacked, but has me covered.  The flop is 8 high with 2 diamonds and I immediately shove.  Joe comments, "This is a really bad call".  Yes, he has Q/4 with the 4 of diamonds.  The turn is of course a diamond, and drum roll please, a diamond on the river.  His dominated hand has found a way to win.  Sick.

But every cloud must have a silver lining, so as our tables now merge for the final table with me bubbling, I get a seat in the live game.  Turns out very well as I plan to play for two hours and manage to hit an 8 high straight flush for a $248 Monte Carlo jackpot.  I leave up over $300.  The tournament chops 1st and 2nd place for less than that.  A good ending.  

No comments: