Monday, November 10, 2008

Wildhorse Poker Round-Up

Time for the semi-annual poker round-up in Pendleton, Oregon. I pick up Bob Pischel at 8:00 and we make the hour drive in time to play a satellite sit-n-go for $25. I hate the format, $800 in chips with 10 minute blinds. I am out early, and Bob follows. They have great cash games during the roundup, so I sit down to play Omaha, and by the time the tournament starts am up $120. In the tournament, I have some early success, our table breaks down. I was sitting a couple of seats behind a WSOP bracelet winner, Susie Isaacs, and was only in one hand with her. I had pocket 9's calling her small raise, and folding when I missed. I was hoping to knock her out as she is a bounty player and you get to spin a wheel for prizes. Anyway, when our table broke I am reassigned to a new table, and already dealt in. I look down at .....pocket queens. There is a raise to $300 under the gun by a young player, so I re-raise to $900. He calls. The flop is 9-8-2 rainbow, and when he checks I continuation bet 1200 into the 2000 pot. He goes over the top of me all-in and has me covered. I think for a moment...but obviously not long enough...and call. He shows pocket deuces for a flopped set! OUch! I am trying to think now what I could have beaten. I guess not pocket aces or queens, pockt 9's, 8's, or 2's. So, with 5 hands that could beat me guess a laydown wouldn't have been bad. I have to quit calling all-ins with only top pair or overpair (more on this subject later). Anyway, back to the Omaha game, playing until 11 p.m. and losing a hundred or two. Not a spectacular trip. I like to say that the buffet ticket costs $215, but the poker is free!!!

No comments: