Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dealing at the American Legion

Friday night poker tournament at the American Legion, and I am ready to break the bad streak. Bad news right away, they are short of dealers and ask me to deal. I reply that I will if they ask everyone and absolutely cannot find anyone else. My reason is that it is very hard to play well and deal, plus I do not tend to deal myself great cards. I relax with a corona and hope for the best. No luck. I am asked to deal table 2, given a $10 refund on the $40 buy-in, plus three free drink tickets (the upside of dealing). I get stung early on a jack high flop with my J/K when Matt shows pocket Jacks. He really doesn't maximize the pain, so I only lose about a third of my chips. Could have been worse. The table is a nightmare. A couple of very bad players who will not get out of a hand, and also play many hands, some very aggressively. Because I am short-stacked early I tighten down and wait for the big hand which just never comes. Even average hands on this table would win very big. Finally, I am down to $600 in chips with blinds 100-200, and the worst player raises all-in before me. I have AQ, so it is an easy call. He shows 77 which holds up to knock me out as we combine to 2 tables. I think that due to the extreme poor play at the table, if I had not been dealing I would have played my poor hands very agressively. Nearly every hand had 4-5 players limping in, then folding to any action after the flop.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's a really nice photo of you and your grandson. Maybe you should just hang out with him & take a little break from poker - I feel your pain!