Saturday, January 30, 2016

Ladies Night?




The Friday night tournament began with me at my usual station, dealing table 2.  In an unusual table draw, there were 4 ladies at my table, lined up neatly all in a row, seats 5,6,7 and 8.  I believe that there were only 3 women playing on the other 3 tables, and one of them was dealing.  The first couple or 3 rounds I would estimate that 90% of the hands were won by them.  They sort of took turns, with one of them "joking" that they would take all of our chips.  One guy doubled up early with his AA vs. KK, so he was not at risk (knocking one of the guys out), but the other men just took turns getting whooped.  I raised with A/10 suited, and one of the women called with A/9.  Usually very good for A10 with an ace on the flop, but this time also a 9.  My continuation bet was met with a big, big raise.  This was her modus operandi, as she had also raised big pre-flop with 5/5.  I think she was making a mistake by not just calling and letting me chase my 3 outs, but hey, that's me and it was working for her.  After I folded, showing the ace, she showed her two pair and commented, "no guts, no glory, you could have hit your 10".  Yes, but she had priced me out and the game is not always guts, but sometimes just brains and math.

Another gal picked me off with my largish preflop under the gun raise (AK), from the big blind with her K2 suited.  The flop was J/J/2 and we checked to the river.  Nice call.  Anyway, that is pretty much how it went.  The overbettor got moved to another table just before I dealt myself AA.  She would have called for sure but probably gotten lucky.  Not long after that she was gone from the tournament either getting caught on her overbets or getting worse cards.

Other highlights included seeing the guy who had two quads (10's, JJ's) getting caught slow playing his AA by a flopped set of 5's, but then rivering the ace.  Girl down!!!  I was pretty happy to deal a straight flush to a nice guy to snap his quads on the high hand board (worth $74).  Unfortunately it was also the hand that knocked me out...I had AQ but no chips to bet with, the straight flush was playing J/10 suited.  I bubbled in 10th before the final table was formed.  It was an o.k. finish as never had many chips and lucky to get that far.

FYI, one of the ladies cashed (4th place, for around $175), it was the one who called my raise with her K2.  She alternately got lucky and unlucky with an all-in with her AK vs. 10/10.  Ace on the flop, 10 on the river.....  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

It's nice to hear that so many ladies played in such a relatively small local tournament. I played the month-end ($115 buy-in) yesterday and out of 33 players there were only 2 women, including me. Disgusting. As for me, I wish this lady would get lucky at all . . . any time. I haven't cashed in what seems like forever. I was out well before the final table yesterday. Luckily, my granddaughter cashed a few times before having the baby & she gave me some money back. If not for that, I would have no poker stake at all. Gak.