Monday, January 11, 2016

The Big Game Hunter



The Quarterly "Big Game" was last night at the Legion.  I had agreed to deal as in the past the tips had covered most of my buy-in, and with a $100 entry that seemed to make sense.  We agreed to split the tips 3 ways as we had before, with all 3 dealers staying to the end and rotating on the final 2 tables.  That ultimately did not make sense.  I chose table 2, my usual one, while Scott took 3 and Gail #1.  As table 3 broke down first, Scott was still in the game and was seated at my table.  Ultimately he was the one who knocked me out when I was down to a single blind.  What hurt me was an early play by the luckiest player at my table.  She made horrible decisions early on calling straights (one very obvious one, the other, mine, not so much) with her 2 pair.  The big hand with me was K/K.  With limpers to in the blind, I raised pretty big.  She called.  The flop was jack high, so when she bet, I called to keep her in and also on the off chance she had called with JJ (I wish).  The turn brought 3 hearts to the board and she fired a similar size bet (500), which I also called.  The river was a 4th heart, and knowing I had the king of hearts I said, "I know I have a heart, you better check your cards".  She didn't look at her hand and we check/checked.  I turned over my king high flush, she turned over pocket aces....with the ace of hearts!  Missed opportunity for a value bet, unless she was looking for a check raise. (Ultimately she took 5th place after killing our table hitting every flop but going card dead on the final table).

As luck would have it, the other 2 dealers lasted until the very end, with our local poker pro, Ray Zee taking first and the other 2 dealers splitting 2nd and 3rd with some sweetener from 1st.  I ended up dealing for 5 straight hours.  Zowee.  Tired today plus figuring I made minimum wage for my time.  

No comments: