Thursday, January 7, 2016

Misread Board Sauce on Side

For starters at Wheeler I like to sip a strong beer.  They serve a nice Old Chub Scottish ale (the name could also apply to me).

 I also sometimes have a menu item called "hog wings".  These are tasty little chunks of pork on the bone, think short ribs.  It comes with a fairly spicy sauce they call "tsunami sauce".  Justin, our regular bartender knows to serve this on the side, but unfortunately he was off and I forgot to specify this to the waitress.  My bad.  This is the reason I am writing this blog in the very wee hours of the morning.


Thus fortified I began playing the tournament.  Things went well at first with pocket aces winning a smallish pot from AK.  I could not get all of his chips with a 10 high flop, but he gave them away the next hand (same holding), vs AQ on a queen high flop.  I lost my early chips and after the break had only 1200 with blinds at 50/100.  The second hand dealt I had Q/10 in the big blind.  With limpers, the button min-raised.  I, along with everyone else called.  There was probably 1000 in the pot.  The flop came down J/8/X.  It was checked to the raiser who bet 100.  Normally I would not chase a gunshot draw, but his weak continuation bet and the excellent pot odds made it an easy call.  Everyone else folded. The turn was the 9 needed for my straight, so I led into him for 300 of my 900 stack.  He tanked for a moment or two then called.  I should have picked up on his tell, as earlier I had read him for trips with the same hesitation, and was able to dump my AQ overcards.

The river brought another jack.  Ordinarily, my spider sense would have led me to check/fold a large or check/call a small bet here.  Not this time.  I led into him for half my remains chips and watched him re-raise all in.  With only 3 blinds remaining I called and watched him turn over AK suited.  What I had failed to observe was that the 9 which gave me the straight was a heart and there were two of them already present.  His suited cards?  Hearts, what else?  I had not only ignored his tell, I had misread the board as well.  The paired board should also have been a red flag for me, but being pot committed and hoping to see KJ or AJ which would be in his range, nothing I could do but go home early with indigestion and feeling like I had played very badly.

No comments: