Saturday, January 16, 2016

OK I Get It, Not the Dealing

Last night I was bound and determined not to deal.  Fortunately a willing player showed up at the very last minute and agreed to take my usual table, #2.  I would have to say (and Mike, the dealer, would probably agree), I opened my game up considerably, playing many more pots than usual.  I also chased a "pair plus" hand way to far, but got lucky and chopped on the river....4/6 in blind hit the river in a big pot.  I lost a customer with AA, I raised, she re-raised, I  4 bet big and she folded (she would later lose lots of chips, shove twice, get back ahead of me in chip count and ultimately knock me out.

My two regrettable hands were Q/10 and A/4.  Not great starting hands but again in the blinds.  The first hand flopped 5/5/9, we both checked.  The turn gave me the gutshot straight draw, an 8.  I bet, representing either a slow played 5 or a good 9.  The player called with A/J.  The river was an ace and as I recall bet around 300.  He called.  I whined about how he could have possibly called the turn bet, and he replied, "I had 2 over cards".  I helpfully pointed out that his jack would have given me a straight.  I am such a whiny bitch.

The next hand was my un-raised big blind, one limper, a calling station that everyone dreads being in hand with.  I had A/4 off, no spades, and checked the flop of A/8/x all spades.  The station bet 300 (blinds probably at 50/100), and I check raised to 600.  I think this was the right play and should have elicited a fold.  That is, from any player but this one.  He had x/8, no spades and of course called.  The turn?  Another 8.  I checked, he bet, I called.  This is a suspect call on my part as of course he had to have either an 8 or a flopped flush.  Nonetheless, the river brought another spade and we check-checked.  There is no use trying to bluff a calling station and my bet would have to have put me all-in.  He rakes the pot.

Last hand, down to around 600, the early position player raises to 350 or so with 10/10.  I am on the button or cutoff with KQ suited.  Re-raise all-in.  She hesitates perhaps remembering my AA shown earlier but with me covered and pot committed she calls.  I have not won a coin flip for a while, and my final hand was no exception.  I really felt like the other two hands really should have been mine, and this was just the icing on the shit cake I was eating.

Mike, if you read this, feel free to weigh in.  Bad play on my part?  Bad play by my opponents?  Bad luck?  Wish I knew.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you would be writing about last nite. You were a severe whiner with the rock calling your turn bet when he had two overs as he justifiably pointed out. Overall though I would say it was a bad luck nite. That said some questionable bets in my mind. A raise with a gutshot against a calling station as you know is a hmmmmmmm play. He got lucky to win the hand but not by much, as he only needed one pair. The last was the allin reraise with a preflop raiser and you on a draw. Call and wait and see the flop my friend then decide what to do. You would have still been in the game. I do deal a winner every hand, but just not to you that time. Sorry.

Mike

Anonymous said...

My bad. I stand corrected with your pair of AA on the flop getting beat by trip 8's. That is a bad beat if there ever was one.

Mike

7 Dewey said...

I think Mike covered it all. As for me, I basically will not call pre-flop with any weak ace unless I really think I have some kind of advantage or, in particular situations if the ace is suited. This has been one of my resolutions for better poker play this year and I'm sticking to it.

Phil said...

Dewey, I agree, unfortunately I was in an un-raised big blind with my weak ace.