Saturday, January 2, 2016

There is Always That One Guy



I have discussed the nemesis we face on the poker table ad nauseum, but here goes again.  Two weeks ago a player nearly knocked me out of the tournament and ended up severely short stacking me.  Naturally, he got it in bad with A7 vs. my AQ suited and hit a 7 (or made a straight using the 7, I forget).  So last night he struck again.  This time it was a coin flip issue on the final table.

Will have to interject at this time that I was very very lucky to get there in the first place.  I was down to 500 with blinds at 300/600 at tripled up with my A/10.  I then doubled again, then once again (plus some) with my AA vs. 88 and K/10.  I was short stacked early mainly to my nemesis chasing a flush vs. my flopped set of 6's.  That hand cost me half my chips.



So, hitting the  FT, I had a respectable chip stack, around 11,000.  My nemesis was to my immediate left.  Oh, I forgot that also 2 weeks ago he was the one who priced the other player in by just calling rather than re-raising and isolating on my last hand on the FT.!!!!!!!!  With KQ suited in the small blind (500/1000) and folded around to me, I raised to 5000.  I had him covered with about 3500 remaining after he shoved with 10/10.  I lost the coin flip and now was short stacked.  A few rounds later he had lost a chunk and I had gained some and now had him outchipped by about 1200.  With blinds at 800/1600 I had around 5000 and shoved with 2/2 in early postion.  He had AK off and snap called.  Again I lost the coin toss to him and was all-in a hand or two later.  Unbelievable.

Final story, I finished in 6th place for a win of $71.  Dealt table 2 so should net close to that.  A respectable start to the new year, but could have been so much better without the nemesis.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

OMG there are just some people you can never beat. The two I think of most quickly are Miguel and An (a/k/a Suck Out). Not only do they usually beat up on me badly, but they laugh about it afterward. BLAH!

Phil said...

Agreed, they are the worst ever. At least mine does not laugh...a good guy other than being the devil.