Thursday, January 28, 2016

Reflections on Life

Birthdays are always, like New Year's, a good time for reflection.  What has happened in your life the past year?  What will happen in the coming year?  Where am I at in life?  We just returned from the semi-annual Phoenix visit Monday.  As usual, it was great to see my mom who is a pretty darn healthy 88 year old, and my sister and brother-in-law.  In addition, we also had lunch and drinks with some Liberty, Missouri classmates living in the area and other classmates visiting.  There was not enough time to spend with good buddies Ron and Don, though we did enjoy a dinner out with Don & Penny.  I will have to catch up with Ron in March when we plan to invade their home in St. Louis for a few days.  Also planning a trip to Dallas during that time to celebrate my little brother's 60th birthday.  It is always good to have fun trips in the planning stage.  This year's agenda includes the annual buddies trip to Las Vegas in May, another Phoenix trip in August, and if things work out, a trip to Wales, Scotland and Ireland in the Fall. Helene has a good friend living in Wales that she has not seen for a few years and I have always wanted to visit that part of Europe.  We will have to "make it so", to paraphrase Captain Picard of Star Trek.

So, at this birthday time, feeling good (for my age) just the normal aches and pains.  Definitely need to plan for more exercise and better diet....this is starting to sound like New Year's all over.  As I age, I realize more and more the importance of taking care of myself, not to cheat Mr. Death, but just to enjoy my remaining years as much as possible.  As I have joked before, my last chance for a hot smoking body is cremation.

  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I get to wait until October to reflect upon my age again - blah. Glad to hear your mom is doing so well. Mine will be 87 this year and also in pretty darn good shape. I hope I can be in good health when I'm her age. I was lucky enough to go to London (and other parts of Europe) but it was (seriously) about 100 years ago and it's on my bucket list to go again. I specifically enjoyed the heck out of Italy, especially Tuscany. I hope you get to make your trip. I think Scotland would be terrific. Wales too I guess. Although watch some old episodes of "Hamish Macbeth" before you go or you won't be able to understand anybody - LOL!