Saturday, January 9, 2016

Redraws, Arguments, Silly Dealing

Have you, dear readers, ever noticed how the one guy who calls your raise has exactly the hand that can beat you?  Playing last night (and dealing), I min-raised on the button with A/10.  The limper who had me well covered called with K/10 suited.  The flop was pretty good for me 9/8/7 rainbow with my two over cards and open ender, I bet small when checked to.  He called, having the same straight draw.  The turn brought the jack, so when he bet, I re-raised all-in.  He called.  The river?  How could it be anything but a queen giving our previously chopped pot to him.  Honestly, there were only two hands that were beating me, 10/J or 5/6 on the flop (both in his calling range), then only 10/Q on the turn, with a 3 outer to beat me on the river.  Gadzooks!!!

Unfortunately, this happened fairly early in the evening so I had to deal for at least an hour or so after this.  There was some arguing at the table, as usual coming from the young loud hotshot that talks non-stop all tournament.  It had to do with him getting involved in a hand verbally that he had folded.  Later, at the final table he got into it again (new subject) and the dealer came very close to stopping the game.  There was a discussion at the end with the tournament director about how to deal with him in the future.

My bad as a dealer.  Guess I was just bored and with a player all-in, did the cutesy JT thing putting out the flop, turn card upside down, then the river.  The river card got him, but he was pissed at me for the way I had done it.  I apologized profusely and he ultimately was cool with it as it did not change any results, just made them weird.

I told everyone that it was my last Friday to play.  When they asked why, I told them that my plans were to win the powerball and just play big games in Vegas.  We will see. 

1 comment:

Phil said...

The hand that eliminated me shows the importance of redraws. This is important in hold'em and even more important in omaha. For instance in hold'em we know that if we flop the straight with 8/9 suited and another player has 8/9 offsuit on a board of 5/6/7 and two of our suit, we have a tremendous advantage as we are now freerolling the other player for our flush. The same with say 8/10 suited same flop for the gutshot plus flush draw vs. say a player with 8/3.

In the omaha game, same situation, imagine that your other two cards are say J/Q also suited. Now you have redraws to both a higher straight and the flush. This type of "wrap" hand is super valuable, and also points out the benefit of being at least single suited, connected, and higher cards. Generally speaking middle cards are a bane (7/8/9 being called "pirates" because they steal your chips), as you virtually never have the nut draw.