Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tournament Strategies


"Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die". -Joe Louis

Preparing for Las Vegas this month I was thinking about successful (for me) tournament strategies, and also what appears to work for others.

Rock Poker
I sometimes play "rock poker", just playing ultra-tight early in a tournament.  This allows some of the crazies and aggressive players to chip up or knock themselves out.  This thins the herd and also allows me to create a tight image which I can use later to exploit moves.  This is probably my default style of play, but unfortunately does not work in all games.  It allows me to go deep, but with insufficient chips to win unless the deck begins hitting me across the noggin.  It is important to identify this type of player as they can be a target for theft later.  If they (or I) call a substantial raise, particularly out of position, then bluffs can easily be shut down.  On the other hand, your continuation bet can be lost money with a re-raise bluff from me or this type of player.  You have to have a good read on me (him) to call or shove here....barring monster flops which usually play a little different.

Rope-A-Dope 
This is a strategy that I see pros using on tv.  Calling bets with near or ultimate nuts rather than raising.  It is akin to trapping strategy with big pairs pre-flop...you know, that guy who does not raise with aces or kings.  It is a dangerous strategy because of the possibility of improvements to an opponent's hand.  For example, you get cute with kings, allow ace/rag in from the blinds, then check a harmless flop then he turns an ace or a straight or flush draw.  I am of the school that you need to make all hands pay to play when you have big starting hands.

Floating  
This is a super popular move.  The idea is to call the raiser (cards unimportant), then check raise if out of position, or raise if in position...with the assumption that he does not hit the flop or there is a scare card out there for his pair.  This can be done on multiple streets, but of course gets expensive so better left to deepstack tournament situations.  Also, if against a player you suspect of floating you can price them out of draws or turn the tables by 3 betting.

Back to my theme.  I am beginning to think more strongly that I need to take the attitude that "this is a good day to die" during tournaments.  In other words, be willing to go all in on draws, bluffs, etc.  Playing a more aggressive game in general.  One of the reasons I have come to believe that the "ball cap kids" consistently show up at the final tables vs. the "cadgy codgers" is their willingness to gamble, plus the fact that they are darn sharp.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

I prefer to be a cagey old codger. Suits my gray hair LOL. I also prefer "rock" poker especially early in a tournament. Floating is fun too. I wish you great success in Vegas. I finally wrote a short blog entry for your entertainment.

Anonymous said...

I kinda thinking your way too of gambling more but enjoy the game and banter and dont want to go home early all the time