Thursday, June 19, 2014

Crowdfunding WSOP


After hitting up my buddy Geoff for the $1500 entry fee for a WSOP bracelet event, I came up with the idea of crowdfunding.  This was used by the folks leasing my business property to start their bakery, and they raised $10,000.  So, here is my "deal".  I will split winnings 50/50 with any of my crowdfunders based on your contribution.  So, a $15. "investment", would earn you 1% of the ultimate winnings.  Keep in mind, I went pretty deep in the event last year with horrible awful card dead holdings.  I finished around 430th out of 2300 players (roughly).  The payout was over $500,000 for first place.  Had I won that using the above crowdfunding technique, a $15 investment would have returned 50% of $500,000 = $250,000/100 = $2500!!!!  And, $150 would have gotten you $25,000. Nice work if you can get it!

O.K., reality demands to consider the "what if" I had merely cashed in the event. I believe that the minimum cash was around $3500 for 250th place.  So, 50% would be $1,750. and 1% would be $17.50, a tidy $2.50 profit, or 14% return on invested capital (ROIC) of $15.00.  Try to get that kind of return at your local savings & loan!!!!

Anyway, it may be too late to organize this for 2014 WSOP, but there is always next year.  I am thinking of leaving everyone's options open on this however, and to "sweeten" the pot, will provide a free World Series of Poker souvenir for any pledges.  Remember, if I do not achieve my goal of $1500 then there is no committment.  How much are you in for? 

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

I would finance the whole thing if I could because I have great faith in your poker playing ability. Unfortunately, this is extremely bad timing. As indicated in an earlier comment on the "gypsy curse" entry, I will be in and out of town a lot over the next few months and will probably only be playing in the Sunday tournaments. No live play. No turbo tournaments. No financing. I hate to say that. Please think about me if you decide to do this next year. I just know you will go deep and I will be sorry. I'm bummed.

7 Dewey said...

P.S. I would still like a souvenir - LOL!!