Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Gypsy Curse



Talking with my mother last night, I discovered the reason for the awful beats that I have been receiving.  It seems that when my mother was pregnant with me she was playing a game of cards with a Romanian woman who turned out to be a gypsy.  Mom got extremely lucky in the game, all the cards were going her way.  The woman got very upset, and when my mom laughed at her, she pointed to her belly and said, "I curse the cards for your unborn child".  Well, mom didn't think anything of it, and neither did I until I began playing poker regularly.  The beats I have taken just this week are legendary:

Aces vs. 2/4 offsuit all-in preflop.  No problem, 2 on the flop, 4 on the river.
K/Q vs. Q/J.  No problem, 2 jacks on the flop.
Several runner straights playing their dominated card (A/8 vs. A/K for example, using 8 for a straight).

It does not seem to matter which side of the coin flip I am on, the result is (usually) the same.  Gypsy curse at work.  I am thinking of going to an exorcist before leaving for Vegas.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's just too funny. Unfortunately, I don't quite believe it as I think most of us feel we (or our mothers) have been cursed in one way or another. The beats you wrote about seem really familiar. I swear that every time I have kings I will get an ace on the flop. Poker just isn't fair. You would probably do well to get that exorcism just in case.