Saturday, June 23, 2012

King of Queens/ Karmic Justice






As you well know, queens are one of those hands that you love to hate.  Last night at the American Legion I was dealt them 3 out of 4 hands!!!  And, to top it off the third hand I had Q/10.  My raises went uncalled and I showed them all, even saying "Queens again?  Call me a liar!"  But, I am getting ahead of myself.  Early in the tournament a young player was dominating, raising virtually every hand or limping then betting.  He had a mountain of chips by the final table, had to carry them with his hat.  I doubled up through trip 9's with my 6's full and entered the FT as one of the healthier stacks.  Folks kept busting out and when we got to 6 handed it was suggested by "Bob" that we pay the bubble.  We all agreed to take $10/10/10/10 out of the first 4 spots (5th paid only $74) and I was delighted as was one of the two shortest.

I got out of bubble trouble with a nice double up and also doubled up "Bob" (he shoved with 7/6 suited, I called with K/Q suited, caught a king he runnered as straight).  "Bob" suddenly has a change of heart about the bubble now that he a very healthy stack and questions why so much from 4th place.  We all say "F" it (and "F" you) and scrap the bubble payment.  I was furious.  However, karma is such a powerful thing to overcome.  He hits a couple of bad beats and guess who is "bubble boy"?  Ya got that right!!!  His greed cost him $40.

Mr. Big Stack kid calls my A/K shove with J/J and I spike an ace.  He is on tilt and, loses with A/J against A/Q and is soon gone.  Chet & Jan are now the shorts which the chip leader, Scott and I both keep raising out of their blinds.  Finally heads up but outchipped I suggest a chop for $357 each or take $300 each and play for the rest, which is $55 better than 2nd .  He refuses, and says "let's continue playing for a while".  He is also the dealer on the final table and will split tips.  O.K., I play lots of heads up online and am pretty good.  We cat and mouse for a while until I shove with my K/10, he calls with 2/5 suited and I am massive chip leader as he has about 10K left.  Want to split now?  Yeah.  With blinds at 2000/4000 and only about 70,000 chips in play it is the right thing to do, but I do take down the 1st place for the records.  Also, for the record I would have played it out, but Scott is a good guy and had the nasty job of dealing, he showed his class at the end by foregoing his big share (50%) of tips and giving them to the other dealers. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

"Instant Karma" by John Lennon is one of my favorite songs - LOL. I was in a tournament at Jokers once. There were 4 of us left and Sal was the big chip leader. I was the short stack. It was a pretty good prize pool that day and we were talking about a chop, but he had tons more chips than the rest of us so he declined. I proceeded to crack his AA by hitting a set with my 66 and he went out two or three hands later with no money at all. Almost instant karma. I love it. (I ended up winning.)