Friday, June 29, 2012

Drawing out




We all hate to be known as a "suck out" and tonight's tournament probably branded me as one, despite the self image I have that I usually go into a hand with the best of it.  I got involved early with K/Q vs. Q/J on a flop of Q/Q/K.  I was first to act and I bet around 3/4 of the pot.  Call by the trip queens.  Turn, x, I bet the same $300 bet, just call.  River, king, I check, he checks behind,  SUCKOUT!!!  My kings full goes on the board as the high hand of the night.  Self comment:  Knowing the player I should have bet small on the river as he definitely would have made a "crying call".


A couple of hands later, I limp in the small blind with 3/6 (yes, I know whatever I get I deserve) with about 5 folks in the pot.  Flop is 6/6/4 with two of a suite.  I bet pot and get a couple of callers.  Turn is an ace, great!!, I bet about 400.  One caller.  River.....3, I check to encourage a straight to bet, and he bets around 400, I re-raise all-in, which he snap calls with his 6/4 for the bigger full house.  The player that I sucked out on actually cheers.  Self comment:  In retrospect I should have flat called the small bet on the river.  With trips possible I could have put him more logically on A/6.  Plus he was a decent player so he would have folded if he could not beat my full house.  Thus, there was no value in reraising. 


Now somewhat short stacked I call a raise from a very good player (who was even more short than me) with my AK suited.  Flop is 9 high with 2 of my suite.  He bets 400, I re-raise all-in, he calls with pocket queens.  Turn hits my flush and he is gone.  SUCKOUT!!!  Self comment: With other players in the hand behind me and on a draw myself it would have been a better play to flat call and see the turn with more information and position on the original raiser.


Short stack Bob from last week goes all-in, I fold my 8/9 suited and watch him win after 8/8/Q flop (he had KQ).  Later more on this bad fold.  Self comment:  The all-in was for 600 more (I was in a blind), and there was another caller before my action.  I actually counted out the bets and figured a 3/1 on my money, so it was not a bad fold, but knowing the bettor (he likes to shove with suited connectors) I could have made this call with any pair or big ace.


I limp with A/9, flop is A/9/x, Bob bets, I raise, he folds, I muck.  But wait.....another player between us still has cards!  We discuss for a while who gets the pot, eventually they push it to me (incorrectly I believe).  SUCKOUT!!!  Self comment:  This was really a cluster-F--K hand.  The premature muck by Bob induced my muck but should have been more careful. (Always hold on to your cards until they push the pot to you).  Rookie error.  The tournament director was sitting next to me and he should have awarded the pot to the other player.  That said, it was also a mistake on my part to raise Bob with another player behind.  A flopped high two pair is very strong and I might have gotten more out of both of them, particularly if they paired their weak kickers.  Poorly played by me all around.


Next to final hand, Linda limps with A/7 suited, I raise with 10/10, she calls.  Flop is 8 high, she bets about 1/3 pot, I re-raise all in, she calls for less.  She hits flush on the river.  SUCKOUT!!!  Linda is a very poor player, calling station.  She made an incredibly poor call preflop by limping with a weak ace, then calling a raise out of position.  Her lead out on a flush draw with one overcard could be construed as an attempt to take control of the action or even as a blocking bet if she were a more sophisticated player.  My re-raise to put her all-in should have ended the hand, but she was stubborn....and lucky.  I have no problem with my play here, just a bad beat.


Final hand:  Bob (the player I would have knocked out with my earlier fold of 8/9), raises with AQ, I call with QJ suited.  Flop is 2/9/10, I push all in with my open ender.  He calls and I FAIL TO SUCKOUT!!!!  Player down.  Comment:  Bob had folded to re-raise strength all night so I had no reason to believe he would not fold here with overcards and no pair.  With my 8 straight outs plus 3 jacks I was a favorite to win.  Again, just unlucky.  My only alternate play would have been an all-in check raise but probably not enough chips for it to work. 





No comments: