Friday, March 27, 2015

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things



Have you ever noticed that many poker players develop a special attachment to certain cards?  Some favorites I have seen:  2/7, J/9, J/2, K/9, 5/8, 2/3 (one of my early favorites), and many more.  These hands generally are ones that are not intrinsically strong but are random and cards you will probably be dealt sometime during a session.  The key for most players when they get these is to come out raising and continuing to bet most of the time whether they "hit" their hand or not.  Basically, these become their random bluff hands.  While this is a great element in any game, I am becoming of the opinion that you are much better to focus your bluffs on a different randomness.  I read a suggestion long ago that you should base your bluff on a time factor, such as bluffing every 23 minutes.  This gives much more randomness to the bluff and never enables you to be "put on a hand".

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I've heard that too (about 23 minute bluffing) but I don't always bluff with 7-2 so I don't really consider it my bluffing hand. I don't feel that I have an actual bluffing hand. I don't even always raise with it. The best thing about it is that it's easy to fold. I just like to have fun with it from time-to-time and I'm absolutely thrilled when the board is something like 7-2-K and I have nothing. Most people I play with will put me on 7-2 (especially if I raise pre-flop) and even though I might have A-J they will fold when I bet. It will continue to be one of "my favorite things". Any "bluff" or "favorite" hands for you lately? Certainly not A-Q LOL.