Monday, March 30, 2015

Observations While Dealing


Playing and dealing has some advantages.  First and foremost is that it allows you to play for a discount or free sometimes.  This may not seem like a big deal but consider that if you only got back half of your $40 buy-in, and played the 50 or so Friday nights, you would save $1000.  That is pretty good money.  Since I normally like to deal table 2  and get at minimum 30%, and normally around $1400 or so in prize money, tips are 10% of net, so $100+/- in tips which gets me $30.  Pretty cheap tournament entry.

The other advantage is that it forces you to watch all of the action.  Too often in a long game our minds tend to drift and we really don't focus on the players or their actions.  I have picked up many player tendencies by carefully observing their play.  Who will ship it light?  Who only plays the nuts?  Who bluffs on the button?  Who calls light?  Who bets light?  Who falls in love with suited cards?  Who falls in love with their pair?  Who check-raises?  Who will call with any pair to the river?  Who limps under the gun with big hands?  On the same note, who likes to trap?  Who doesn't?  All of these things are observable to all players, but some are ovlivious.  We all play somewhat predictably, that is to say we do certain things with certain hands.  These can become "tells" if we are not careful.  For example, if you raise before the flop with your big cards and miss the flop do you always continuation bet or only if you connect with the flop?  If you are not, then your hand becomes almost face-up and that lowly pair of 2's will snap your AK.  The continuation bet is an important part of your game as it gives cover to those times when you miss and credibility when you nail it.

I cannot mention names here as some of my fellow players read my blog, but let me give you some examples of weak play that I recently observed.

One player at my table last week played virtually every hand, including several raised pots (p.s., he is not the only regular who does this).  He chipped up early and big but I accurately predicted that he would give them away.  He simply played too many hands with too weak of cards.

Another player is very talkative.  He will almost tell you what his cards are if you speak with him for a little bit.

A couple of players re-raised all-in with the 2nd nut straight.  This is a more common error that is made.  Some players are somewhat oblivious to board texture and do not think through the possible hands that beat them.  For example, saw AQ take all of Q/x chips on a K/J/10/9/x board.  If you are re-raising on a probable chop what is the point?  Is 7/8 really going to pay you off here?  Also, I see heavy betting sometimes when 2 pair gets carried away on a paired board or 3 flush board.  Not smart poker.

So remember, readers, that careful observation of play can pay big benefits in a tournament where you know most of the players.  The observation thing is important but can be misleading in big tournaments with crafty unknown players.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Good insights here. I try to pay attention to other players, but when I've played with the same ones for so long it does get difficult to maintain my level of interest. I also disagree with the continuation bet stuff. Sure, it's great from time to time, but if you do it consistently it feels like another tell. I'm not happy with all the people who C-Bet on a regular basis. I don't like wasting my chips that way if I get check raised. Maybe I'm just a chicken.

Phil said...

Dewey,
The c-bet as a bluff only has to work 33% of the time to be profitable if you are betting 1/2 the pot. Forget about the scary check-raisers. If you fold to the raise you chalk it up to one of your misses, but if you nail the flop and are check raised.....mo money!