Saturday, March 21, 2015

Stopped Clock Poker

"Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day".

Sometimes I am truly amazed at how bad some folks play poker and yet win due to unbelievable luck.  Last night at the Legion I both witnessed it and was victimized by it.  For instance, a very good player with a big stack managed to be eliminated in 5th place when he called a bluff all-in with his pair of 8's.  The bluffer had K/7 and of course hit his king.  I got a chunk of his chips when he shoved a 4/5/6- 3 club flop holding the K of clubs and a 7.  I called with K/6 and his multiple outs failed to come in.  With 20 outs (twice), I was technically way behind on the flop.  He took a couple of other hits for similar to this.

As dealer for the final table, I was hoping to cash.  We had found a gift for granddaughter Eva and I was on a mission to pay for it from poker winnings.  With 4 tables going I was assured of freerolling my buy in from the tip pool, so any winnings would be net.  I made the final table with a short stack but got fortunate several times (with the best starting hand) and we got down to 3 players.  Some discussion went on about a 3 way chop for around $300 each but one player (chip leader) wanted to play 5 more minutes until the next blind level.  Fine.  The first hand I dealt myself was 3/3, and with about 17,000 in chips, I shoved from the small blind.  The big blind, an incredibly lucky and frankly clueless player called for over half his chips with......K/4 unsuited.  I really did not want the call, as figured I was behind or definitely in a coin flip.  He managed to river a king and eliminate me in 3rd place for $170 win.  The remaining 2 players....one of which got the lucky king on the river earlier to survive..... played a few hands then chopped with the leader getting $30 more (chop was around $800 total).  I felt very cheated for a couple of reasons.  1st, not chopping 3 ways cost me $130.  His catch of the king cost me another $100 as I would have been chip leader if my 3's had held up.  The good news is, I paid for Eva's gift, a building block set, which will be delivered next week.


1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think we could play poker for 100 years and never figure out why people do what they do. K4 off suit. Just ridiculous. I'm sure Eva is enjoying the fruits of your labor though so all is right with the world!