Saturday, October 4, 2014

What Type of Player Are You?

In doing some reading today in one of my old poker books, I got to thinking about the different types of players:

Tight/Aggressive
Loose/Aggressive
Weak/Tight
Loose/Passive

Read no further, if you are not a tight aggressive player you cannot be my friend!!!!  LOL!!!!  Actually, reading about the "types", I sometimes fall into the weak/tight category.  Let me elaborate.  A weak/tight player will call when they should be raising or folding.  They will fold good holdings to aggression if they do not have near nuts.  They will fold draws, even when presented with good implied odds.  They see monsters under the bed.  They will not value bet at the end without the nuts.  They will overbet when they have premium holdings.  Yikes!  I sometimes play like this.  This is a major problem for me.  In other words, I can be exploited by aware players who put me to the test.

I wrote the above before playing the Friday night tournament.  I decided to not be that player.  It almost got me in trouble early on.  The player to my right was on a roll, winning several good pots and had probably more than doubled up.  On the other hand, I was down a bit from starting chip count (part in thanks to the LAG young player I have previously written about).  This hand came up:  playing AK suited (I raised, thank you), the flop came with two clubs and jack high.  My AK was clubs.  The big stack bet small enough to give me good calling odds with two overcards and the flush draw.  I believe that technically I was ahead of his pair of jacks.  The turn was a brick for me and he bet bigger.  This is where I had to do a weak/tight check.  Do I fold now and be even more chip challenged?  Or do I gamble?  Determined not to quit, I called to see my miracle club on the river, but did I mention the board was paired?  He checked, and fearing the worst (monsters under the bed), but determined to break out of my weak/tight mold....I went all-in.  He called to show the A/J and I took a very nice pot, doubling up.  So much for my theory that everyone's draws come in but mine.

Doubling up once more on a two pair (A/10) hand, I became the chip leader, despite losing a stack to QQ vs. my 5/5 vs. the wild child's preflop 3 bet and shove on the flop (ace/king showing).  Due to his spewey nature I made the call, only to be overcalled by the queens.  We both check checked and he won.

I was feeling pretty good, chip leader and all when this hand came up.  A very loose and passive woman limped (or maybe was in big blind...I forget) when I raised with KK.  Blinds were 80/160 and I had made it 500 to go.  She called, everyone else folded.  The flop came 10/10/3 and she bet 600 with about 550 behind.  I tanked for a moment, asked her, "really, you called with a 10 in your hand?".  She didn't answer, and I re-raised her all-in.  She called to show......A/K off.  Sweet, except for the ace on the river.  We had our break just after that, and I was down to about 500 over starting stack.

My last hand was at the 200/400 level with 18 players remaining.  We had just formed the final 2 tables and I drew the small blind, which I figured was a good thing with only 4 big blinds in my stack.  I totally misplayed the first hand, with A/2 of spades in the small blind I should have shoved with only one limper and the big blind in the hand.  My thought process was that I would like to see the flop cheap and fold to a bad flop or shove with a good one.  That would leave me with 3 1/2 blinds and able to see 8 more hands.  The flop was beautiful for me, Q/Q/8 with 2 spades.  I thought it unlikely that anyone had a queen and with a flush draw plus 1st action could get a fold easily...representing the queen and no possible better flush draw possible.  Wrong!  I shoved, the big blind called and the limper folded.  He turns over.....8/4 off.  WTF!  Guess he could not put me on a queen, and despite having a player to act behind decides to be a hero.  I hit a 2 on the turn, but no more 2's, aces, or spades appeared and I was gone.

2 comments:

Phil said...

My own comment about my last hand. Did not need to lose this one. My correct play(s) would have been to shove or fold. With a suited ace the correct play was to shove...it would have been an easy fold for the big blind and the limper probably did not pair any cards (or start with a pair), so irregardless, the outcome could not have been worse and could have been better (double up or increase my stack by 800.

7 Dewey said...

I'm just very bummed because I know deep down that I'm not tight-aggressive and I can't be your friend - aarrgghh! Actually, I don't know what I am. Just plain crazy I think. I'm really going to have to figure this out. As for your own comment, I must agree with your logic on that. Are you going to be in town any time soon? I need at least one player that I can beat - LOL!!!