Saturday, September 27, 2014

First The Scorecard then The Story

American Legion Friday Night Tournament

4th Place   $113
High Hand (JJJJA)   $54  -  $2 from every buy in goes to high hand of night
Table 1 Dealer tips  $56
Less $40 Buy in
Less $10 tip
Net Win  $173

How I got there.

Arriving early, decided to mix it up a little by doing some drinking.  I was not planning on dealing, so thought I could sacrifice some concentration.  O.K., just one beer.  When 7:00 arrived, they announced the drawing for seats, and I was just about to choose a card when the organizers asked me if  I would deal table 1, final table, since the guy who had asked to had not arrived yet.  O.K. I guess, not really my plan.

Maybe it was the alcohol talking, but played a lot looser than my normal game, doing more limping early, raising some, and dealing myself some really good hands.  I quickly chipped up and was the leader at the table.  Dealt myself:  AA twice, KK 3 times, JJ, and some other pairs and nice big cards.  Won a few with loose calls and amazing flops like A/3 on the button flopping trip 3's (they never see that one coming).  I would have won the whole tournament but was plagued with draws coming in against me.  I lost 2 giant pots with a turned straight vs. my flopped 2 pair, and a rivered straight against my top pair.  I paid particular attention to bet sizing and at no time did any draw get correct odds.  It was just that type of chasing table.  Also lost 3 big pots to chased flushes on the river.  Almost any other player would have been knocked out by any of these hands, but had won so much that it did not cripple me.  Also, did not make crying calls when I bet on the river and was raised.

The last chase was my big blind on the final table with 4 players remaining.  I was 3rd in chips.  It was limped to me and I checked my 5/8 off.  The flop was 5/5/9 with 2 clubs.  I bet 2500, was raised to 5000 by the button, and I shoved 9200 more.  He called with J/3 of clubs and hit a club on the turn.  He had me covered by 500 and I was out.  Wow!  He eventually won the tournament despite getting all in a couple of times with the worst hand and majorly sucking out.

My high hand was a thing of beauty.  Playing AJ on the button (no raises), and probably 4 players, the flop was JJJ.  Bingo!!!!  Then the big blind bets 200 and one player calls.  I flat call.  The turn brings a 10, we all check.  The river is a (brick..revised) jack, everyone checks to me and I bet $600.  One player folds and the cutoff calls to see the bad news.

3 comments:

7 Dewey said...

That was a very nice night, although I had to laugh a bit at your description of the high hand. Way too many jacks! LOL.

Phil said...

LOL. Yep, better check them cards....it was a 10 I think.

Don Yarbrough said...

Jacks X 2, priceless.

Donnie