Saturday, September 13, 2014

Didn't....Win....A.....Single.....Hand

It is pretty unusual for me to play in a tournament and not drag a single pot.  Playing @ the American Legion Friday night and dealing table 2, I was getting very bad hands.  Was also not happy with the players at my table, with 2 very aggressive and sometimes wild players, the worst sitting to my immediate left.  Seat change!!  Oops, forgot that I am the dealer, and it is a tournament.  Never mind.  So, with the blinds at 20/40, I pick up 10/10 in the cutoff with one limper.  I raise to 120 and of course the button wild child calls plus another player or two.  This is so early in the tournament and I will have to deal until the final table forms, so I am not looking to get out of line right now.  You will have to believe me that nothing sucks worse than being out of the tournament and having to deal for a couple more hours.

The flop comes down, 7/4/3 with two hearts.  When it is checked to me I fire a bet of 275 into the roughly 400-500 pot.  The kid next to me re-raises to $500.  The other players fold, we discuss what amount constitutes a raise (not $500, but $550), and I tank for a bit.  I muse out loud, "well, you probably have one of three hands.  Either a flush draw with top pair, something like A/7 hearts, or suited connectors like 5/6 in which case you flopped a straight, or even two pair like a 3/4".  I briefly flirted with the idea of shoving over the top of him, but for the above mentioned reason I chose to fold my 10's face up.  Also, he is very capable of calling a raise with any two cards.  Thinking more about it, I think he probably put me on AK as he views me as being a very tight player, and certainly would fold with no pair.  Due to his raise, I do not think that he had either a flush draw or a made straight as that would not maximize his chips on future streets.  It is also possible that he put me on big cards and caught total air but felt he could get the fold with his aggression.  Anyway, had I not been dealing would have looked him up for all my chips as I think that I was ahead.

To Recap his possible hands:
1.  5/6:  probably not as he would allow me to continue betting
2. A/7:  strong possibility but I am way ahead
3. 3/4:  also a possibility, but think he would just call to trap
4. small pair:  not likely as he probably would have 3 bet, but possible
5. A/X:  very likely, and could have had A/3, A/4 which would have made him think he was ahead
6. Total Air:  With him, yeah a possibility


Later on, he shoved with 10/7 , was called by AJ and 7/7, caught a 10 on the river and tripled up his small stack.  He moved tables shortly afterwards and was eliminated before we consolidated to 2 tables.  Like I say, a wild man.  My last hand was AJ shove with only 3 blinds, called twice, lost to K10 suited who caught a king on the turn, and a straight on the river.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Bummer! That is indeed very unusual for you. My weekend was just OK tournament wise. I got my money back on Saturday and went out 8th on Sunday when my short stacked 99 ran into AA. Hope you have much better luck next time.