Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Running Bad

You know you are running bad when you get your chips in with the best hand and are drawn out on by someone who probably should not have been in the pot in the first place.  Sunday $60 tournament was a prime example.  I played pretty well, got some decent cards, and we were down to 5 players (paying 3...with bubble boy probably getting money back).  I am 3rd in chips, but very short stacked with only 6500 (blinds @ 1/2000).  The other short stacks have 2-3 blinds at most.  I am in the big blind, the button calls (Marco who has had 3 major suck outs or would have been gone...example being all-in with 3/3, called by QJ, Tony hits queen, 2 diamonds on flop, Marco has 3 of diamonds...you know the rest).  I have A7 suited, and shove, Marco calls with J10 offsuit and hits a 10 on the river.  I should not complain about the 10/J as it has been a monster lately, even for me, cracking aces with it on a jack high flop with another on the turn.

Anyhow, the tournament this morning was looking very good for me early.  In small blind with A/9, tons of limpers, we take an unraised flop.  The flop is great for me, A/9/3, but two clubs.  I bet around 200 if I recall correctly, and half the table called.  The turn is another ace, and I bet 300.  John, the player to my left in the big blind re-raises me all-in and has me covered by 100.  Everyone else folds and I call...he is drawing dead (except for a 9 to chop) with the A/8.  Sick.  Later, I knock Donna out from the big blind with the same hand (she shoved with only 100 more than my blind).  I flopped an ace, turned another ace, and rivered the case ace.  Quads!!!!  Told her that after the 2nd ace was just "showing off"...she of course appreciated the remark.  LOL.

Despite my early chip advantage, went card dead, lost 800 to pocket aces with my 4/4, and raised from the button with K/10 and was re-raised by Dave with J/J.  I was mostly in, definitely pot committed and failed to find a king.  He would have been gone earlier but had a couple of major suck outs that had gotten him back in the game (biggest being all-in with A/little hearts vs. AK....one heart on the flop then runner/runner hearts.

When you are running good this happens.  When running bad you can never be safe with any hand.  First time I have not made the final table in a week.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Welcome to my world - LOL. I'm about ready for a long break from poker. 3-4 weeks off usually helps a lot. Seems to get me refocused and I also seem to win a lot right after the break. I might just play Sunday and call it good for the month. I think you said you were only here a week so you're probably gone already. Hope you had a good trip.