Thursday, October 23, 2014

Draws & Rivers

Maybe I am just whining here, but why does it seem that the river never helps me, but makes someone else's hand?  Playing online Omaha today I flopped sets at least 5 times only to lose on the river when someone's straight or flush draw came in?  I was on a freaking draw too, but for a full house or quads!!!!

So, here is a bad beat from an online tournament.  I am in 3rd place, raise with AJ, and am re-raised all-in from A/10 with fewer chips.  I call, he hits a 10 on the river.  Dominated hand got lucky.  Very next hand I have A/J again and shove.  Same player calls with K/J and hits a king.  Again the dominated hand got lucky.  Sheesh Kabeesh!

It has been said that poker is a game of incomplete information.

You can have the best hand and simultaneously have the best draw.  Since you don't know what the other hands hold, we "experts" are always looking to build a pot when we have this situation.  The problem is, the other players don't know that they are drawing to a miracle 2 outer.  It always amazes me.  I bet when I have trips, other players call with overpairs, flush or straight draws.  The board is paired with 3 hearts and some idiot is calling with a straight draw!  Then wins!  In my omaha game, have seen the "underfull" raising and even re-raising.  Wow.

Since I share my bad beats, here is one of my very few awesome flops.  I am playing a J/Q of clubs (along with other cards..Omaha game), and the flop comes 8/9/10 of clubs.  I check call the flop with multiple players, the board pairs on the turn, a player bets, I raise, he re-raises and I cap.  Same action on the river.  He has the "nut" full house with his 9/10.  Sweeeeet! 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I can't believe you flopped a straight flush. Wow. I have never flopped a straight flush. A thing of beauty. Great hand.

As for the rest, I am in the same boat. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. If I have the best hand I am almost certain that I will lose. Negative waves. Maybe I need some meditation or something. I've about had it. I'm seriously thinking of not playing at all until January.

Having said that, if you are in town and decide to play one of the deep stacks let me know. I may move out of my poker funk just to visit. Thanks. (Doubt if I will play in Pendleton either.)