Monday, February 3, 2014

Joe's least Favorite Hand...Now Mine.



First a word about AQ.  While it is rated among the top 10 hands in poker, I am getting completely wamboozled by it, no matter if I have it or am against it.  Some recent examples for your edification:

Friday tournament:  Called an all in (had him double covered) with my AQ vs. 10/10.  His tens held up.  Later in the same tournament, the same player raises with 10/10 and I call all-in (he now has me covered) with AQ suited.  Player down.
Sunday tournament:  My last hand, shove with AQ suited, called by QQ.  Player down.
Monday tournament:  I shove with KK, called by AQ.  He hits his ace on the river, player down.

May I just make one short comment?  WTF?  Can't win with it and can't win against it.

Additional comments about the big tournament on Sunday.  With blinds at 25/50 I raise preflop with J/J.  I am called in several places.  Flop is J/2/4 with 2 clubs (the 2 and 4).  I bet 1000 (pot is approximately 800), and am called in one position.  Turn is a king offsuite and I go all-in, having the caller covered by over 2000 chips.  He calls and turns over the 3/5 of clubs for the open ended straight flush draw.  River?  No problemo, the 6 of clubs gives him the stone cold nuts.

May I just make one short comment?  WTF?  Can't people lay down a draw, even for all their chips?

I had some discussion with a fairly educated player about the hand, and he said we were a coin flip on the flop.  Wrong.  I ran it through my poker calculator and I was a 60/40 favorite.  On the turn, it was even better for me, 70/30.  This expert claimed 17 outs twice, but he forgot that I chew up a few of them with my full house draw.  My outs to improve are J of clubs, 3-2's, 3-4's and on the turn, whatever hit (king of hearts I think) 3 of those.  So, his king of clubs is gone, as well as the jack of clubs, leaving him 4-A's, 4-6's, 7,8,9,10,Q, and K of clubs.  14 outs on the turn.

We then proceeded to discuss the wisdom of putting all your chips in on a big draw vs. a made hand.  I choose to believe that given a choice I would like to be the one with the made hand, regardless of outs.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Here is my mistake in the Sunday tournament. I failed to control the pot size properly. If I had kept it smaller then I could have gotten away cheaper.

7 Dewey said...

That's true. There are certain hands that just tend to hate me. I don't know why. They are 8-8, which always seems to hit a set when I have aces; 10-10 which I can't win with and always get beat by, like your A-Q; and A-K which is a piece of crap. Personally A-Q treats me better. Sorry about that. I agree with you completely - WTF!