Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Some Practice Tournament Ideas

Because I play on several free sites, Pokerstars, Zynga (facebook), and Cardplayer Poker, I have a fun way to experiment with different styles of play.  Some things I will be trying this week:

1.  Never calling.  Either re-raising or folding every hand.
2.  Raising 100% of the time from the button (unless raised before me).
3.  Raising 100% of the time from the small blind if folded to me.
4.  Raising 100% of the time from the big blind if no-one has raised, particularly if small blind is only caller.
5.  Calling raises from early position, then shoving after the flop with any two cards.
6.  Min-Raising when I am the big stack on every hand (from late position).

These are all excercises in ramping up my aggression, which is one of the problems I have as a TAG (tight aggressive) player.  This type of play is the LAG (loose aggressive) style which many players use today.  When I am playing in real money games I intend to mix up my style more which should make me less predictable.

I will let you know how this experiment works out.  I tried it in a free tournament this morning on CP by open shoving with 5/6 suited.  I turned two pair but was eliminated when the board paired 8's...my opponent had A/A.  LOL.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Very good strategy. Several years ago I read some information on limit poker by Howard Lederman (spelling?)(Annie Duke's brother) and he said you should only raise, re-raise or fold. I've tried to follow that advice most of the time in limit and tournaments both. I'll be interested to see how your loose aggressive style works out. Good luck.