Thursday, February 20, 2014

Swept Away by The Tsunami



Playing in the tournament above the Tsunami Grill in Wheeler last night decided that it just wasn't for me.  For starters, it is about a 20 minute drive in the dark, raining, around scary curves with elk and deer lurking in the woods, ready to wreck your car at any moment.  It is the same guys who play Friday night at the Legion, so that part is fine.  They are mostly the usual suspects and am familiar with their play.  You get extra chips (100) for showing up early but the bad news is that you definitely need them.  Starting chips is only 1000 with 15 min. blinds starting at 10/20.  You can become alarmingly short stacked very quickly, as I quickly discovered.

Entering a couple of pots early on with AQ, 66, 89 suited I folded to the preflop raiser when I failed to connect on the flop.  Now down to about 800 in chips, blinds up, folded some blinds and down to around 600, shoved with AK, picked up blinds, won another hand and eventually down to 525 two under the gun.  Blinds were 25/50, but going up next hand to 50/100 so when I discovered KQ I quickly shoved my 10 big blinds which were about to be 5 big ones.  Everyone folded to the big blind, Robert, who had won several pots and quickly called with 7/7.  Robert, you may remember from earlier posts is my nemesis who I always lose to (except for the first hand of a tournament where I flopped quad 2's vs. his nut flush draw (and I do mean nut flush as he had a draw to straight flush).  Surprised to win that one.  Anyway, following my recent pattern I failed to hit my coinflip draw and was out.  Good news was I got home in time to watch most of American Idol, but got distracted watching Grimm Season 1, which is my latest binge watch tv show.



I am not a big fan of horror shows, so I turned it off when originally aired, but found it very humorous, good acting, good plots, music and manageable gore.  It is an engaging storyline and will have to now finish season 1 and move on to seasons 2 and 3.  My binge watching is getting seriously behind as I have a few others going.
  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

1,000 starting chips is a tad low although in this case it appears to be 50 big blinds which isn't terrible. I don't think I would play that tournament either. I only play the 2,000 chip ones because they are quick & cheap. Hope you enjoy your TV show! I watched all of "Breaking Bad" (65 episodes) in less than 1 month. I never do that. Have fun.